Help with 48v to 12v

33 Posts
Jan 26, 2008 09:29 pm
Help with 48v to 12v

Need some quick help with a situation. I have a 48v battery and a 12v inverter. As a temporary set up till I can get my 48v inverter back I am wondering if I could use a single 12v battery, old or new, as a buffer. Hook the 48v to the old 12v and that to the inverter. I am not worried about the 12v but I don't want to destroy the inverter or the 48v. Is this possible or no? Will it kill the 12v or should I use an old thrashed 12v?

Thanks for any help.

3 Posts
Jan 28, 2008 07:09 am
Re: Help with 48v to 12v

I'm not an expert, but yikes!    I wouldn't do it.

Connecting the 48V battery to a 12V battery should just discharge your 48V battery to about 13-14V, creating a huge amount of heat in the process, probably destroying both batteries. 

33 Posts
Jan 28, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks Will. I appreciate the help. Obviously I am worried about it as well and will take your advice. I am curious though as I know there are some real experts on here.

Is there a safe way to step that voltage down from 48 to 12?
Anyone???

Thanks again for the reply Will,
Troy

1 Posts
Jan 28, 2008 06:45 pm

Don't even try!!!! Will S is right about the heat issue. The resulting explosion may start a fusion cycle that will rival Chernobyl - I guess then you would have the power you need?

Wait for the 48v inverters return.
Pat

33 Posts
Jan 28, 2008 07:15 pm

OK then I will admit defeat. I really do appreciate the help. Would hate for my wife to come home to a giant crater.

Thanks again,
Troy

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!