Generator Start Module wiring

1 Posts
Jan 13, 2009 07:15 am
Generator Start Module wiring

Greetings - I have purchased a new Generac 10Kw(LP) Standby Generator to hook up to my offgrid Re system. I have a Xantrex inverter and the Generator Start Module. The Generator is the 'new' Generac that incorporates a LCD display. Does anyone know the wiring setup from the Generator to the Xantrex GSM?
Thanks!

28 Posts
Jan 28, 2009 05:30 pm
Re: Generator Start Module wiring

David,

I assume that your inverter is a Xantrex XW series, correct? The GSM can be configured to interface with most commercial generators, but (and this is a big "but"), the generator must be capable of being started remotely. That is to say, started by a switch or remote device located away from the generator itself.

Most Generac generators of the 10-16kW variety do not have this capability.  I can show you how to connect the generator to the GSM, but it will require a modification to the generator that would probably void the warranty. In addition, you need to have some technical skills to deal with the circuit assembly and changes to the AUTO-OFF-MANUAL switch.

Let me know if you would like to modify the generator. Also, call Xantrex tech support; they may have some ideas as well.

You can contact me directly at johnwhass @ aol.com.

John

2 Posts
Feb 2, 2009 10:22 pm

When the generator is set to AUTO mode it checks the power coming from the Grid, or in your case the homes power system (Inverter Batteries). I believe the GSM can power a solid state relay to allow 120V from your electric panel to flow through a step up transformer 120/240. The generator most likely produces 240V so it looks for 240Volts on the line. The automatic transfer switch available form generac also used 240V. When the batteries require charging the GSM can turn on or off to also turn on/off the relay thus not allowing power to the transformer. The automatic transfer switch sees this as a power outage and starts the generator for charging the batteries. The only downfall to this set up is the transformer rating. Make sure to check the power drawn by the generator battery charger. The transformer must be rated for at least this. In a similar set up I installed a 8kw generac and used a 500VA transformer to power the automatic transfer switch. Doing it this way does not void any warrenties. Relays cost $30, transformer $45, automatic transfer switch $150?.

16 Posts
Sep 28, 2009 08:18 pm

Michael,
I also have an 8kw Centurion generator by Generac. Plan to install it on my Xantrex 2.46kw off grid system. Any advice or wiring tips you can give on using their AGS would be appreciated.

16 Posts
Jan 19, 2014 07:27 pm

Actually it can be setup to work for around $20 bucks. It was discussed here. http://www.altestore.com/forums/Renewable-Energy/Technical-Discussion-Other/XW-Auto-Generator-Start-and-Centurion-8k/index.php/topic,2088.15.html

It works on pretty much any Generac whole house generator that uses N1/N2 to detect grid power. For off grid systems simply connect 240v from your inverter to simulate shore power.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!