Failing PV panels

9 Posts
Jul 24, 2009 09:48 pm
Failing PV panels

I found this issue on another site...wondering if anyone has some advice or insight about this issue:

"In 2003 I had 20 solar panels installed on my home, each 150 watt modules (BP3150S) - now that they are 6 years old, they are starting to fail at the junction box on the back side of the panel, where the wires connect to the panel. They blow & burn, shattering the panel's glass, and knocking my power production down significantly."

I am thinking bad connections or connectors or undersized wiring causing some kind of catastrophic short circuit and/or arcing. 

Anyone else have any ideas

Thx - BF

Jul 26, 2009 01:08 pm
Re: Failing PV panels

Diodes?

Aug 20, 2009 07:30 am

Excessive heat from a lose connection.  Clean and re-seat/tighten all connectors.

462 Posts
Aug 20, 2009 06:55 pm

Bruce, just another reason why roof installations can be bad. Excessive heat and damage from the weather, especially in areas that receive snow and ice. Hopefully you have some access to the j-boxes. Most installations leave little or no room for service, especially if the bad panel or connection is in the middle of the array.

46 Posts
Aug 20, 2009 06:57 pm

Woah!! Time to move..

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!