Do new solar panels "settle" in?

73 Posts
Aug 17, 2008 11:05 am
Do new solar panels "settle" in?

Just tested my new Kyocera KC40T panel in the sun all day yesterday to see that it meets the specs as shown on it's label.

The Isc rating is 2.65amps...however, I got reading with a digital volt meter of over 3.21amps at times and sustained amps of around 2.7 to 2.8 amps..will the panel settle in to its rated 2.65Isc after a bit? My concern is that I have sized my system to use 3 of these panels in parallel going to an ASC 12/12-a charge controller.

By the way the specifications in the altE store for the KC40T need to be updated.

James

James

578 Posts
Aug 18, 2008 12:05 pm
Re: Do new solar panels "settle" in?

the kyoceras are notorious for over-performing which is generally a good thing.  when sizing a controller, remember to take array isc x 1.56 nec correction factor for controller and wiring sizing.

thank you very much for the heads up on the specs.  with 4000 things, some changes slip through.  we hope to have it fixed by the weekend.

your asc should be fine as the math works out to be .4a over 12a.  that includes using listed isc and correction factor.

all modules will wear gradually but only thin film show meaningful changes in the first 6 months to the best of my knowledge.

cheers,

james
AltE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

578 Posts
Aug 20, 2008 01:20 pm

specs to the kyocera 40t are now corrected.  hope to have some new photos of one up soon.

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

184 Posts
Aug 20, 2008 04:47 pm

Just tested my new Kyocera KC40T panel in the sun all day yesterday to see that it meets the specs as shown on it's label.

The Isc rating is 2.65amps...however, I got reading with a digital volt meter of over 3.21amps at times and sustained amps of around 2.7 to 2.8 amps..will the panel settle in to its rated 2.65Isc after a bit? My concern is that I have sized my system to use 3 of these panels in parallel going to an ASC 12/12-a charge controller.

By the way the specifications in the altE store for the KC40T need to be updated.

James

James

The current "peaks" you've observed may be the result of what some people call "Edge of Cloud" events.  It is called that because momentary performance peaks have been observed as the sun emerges from a cloud. I believe that these current peaks are the result of sunlight suddenly hitting panels that have had a chance to cool down while the sun was behind the cloud.  If you look at the spec-sheet for your panel, it shows that improved performance with cooler temperatures.  Others may have different explanations, but this is MHO.

I have 5 (85-watt) kyocera panels in parallel, and I should see current readings of no more than 25.1 amps.  I've seen peaks in excess of 29 amps last winter, but not more than 26 amps during on any recent hot summer day. 

So, to answer your question, I believe that you'll continue to see those current peaks, especially in cool weather. 

John

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2008 04:49 pm by John Dalhaus »

73 Posts
Aug 20, 2008 05:35 pm

James

James

The current "peaks" you've observed may be the result of what some people call "Edge of Cloud" events.  It is called that because momentary performance peaks have been observed as the sun emerges from a cloud. I believe that these current peaks are the result of sunlight suddenly hitting panels that have had a chance to cool down while the sun was behind the cloud.  If you look at the spec-sheet for your panel, it shows that improved performance with cooler temperatures.  Others may have different explanations, but this is MHO.

I have 5 (85-watt) kyocera panels in parallel, and I should see current readings of no more than 25.1 amps.  I've seen peaks in excess of 29 amps last winter, but not more than 26 amps during on any recent hot summer day. 

So, to answer your question, I believe that you'll continue to see those current peaks, especially in cool weather. 

John

This is great news...It's like getting a 45 watt panel for the price of a 40watt..Smiley I've been monitoring the panel for a few days now and it's consistently around 2.8 amps..very cool. And this is during the summer..so I would think that I might get even more amps in the winter months up here in northern IL.

James

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!