Blue Sky Energy's Solar boost 50DL

Mar 12, 2010 05:46 am
Blue Sky Energy's Solar boost 50DL

I am just a beginner...
I assembled 2 100W solar panel...specs: VoC- 25V IsC - 4A
I wired these panels in parallel with my solar boost 50DL controller...
I have a 200AH battery bank...
my system voltage is 12V...i am using these set-up to power the lighting requirements of my farm...
My question is, why does the battery voltage drops with  the solar panel voltage? do i need to install a blocking diode?
My farm is located in the Philippines...at the moment the weather really is hot, which is caused by el nino phenomenon.
The load at the moment is 720W per day and the battery drops to 11.7V in the morning and the maximum voltage we can achieve at the end of the day is just 12.7V
Any thoughts?

220 Posts
Mar 12, 2010 06:08 pm
Re: Blue Sky Energy's Solar boost 50DL

Hello Glenndie Gigante,

more details are always good.

couple of things that may help. that sb50dl will let us feed it up 57voc on the input side of things. being in the philippines it takes away our cold temp correction worries so we should be able to series those pv modules for a better shot at getting the power into the battery bank. (we may be getting excessive voltage drop due to hot modules)

might think about going with a battery bank about three times that size. we have the potential (if all goes well) of harvesting close to 100 amp hours @ 12vdc each day and need a bigger place to store it.

dave

ps, was that 2x100watt pv modules or 100watt total? specs please.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2010 06:12 pm by david ames »

Mar 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi David,
it is a 2x100W module...so i have total of 200W.
I was really worried of wiring them up in series, thought that i would exceed the 57V max of the controller.

I will be adding 1 more battery of the same capacity (200AH) but this time i will add 2x72W module, so my new configuration will be 100W&72W in series/parallel. the 72W module specs are : VoC-18V and IsC-4A, would there be any problem with that?
What about blocking diodes, do i need them?

Battery bank will be 24V system...

Thanks

220 Posts
Mar 13, 2010 03:43 pm

Hi Glenndie,

afraid we are still having trouble understanding exactly what you have there for pv modules.

are these a "store bought" name brand solar panel? (if so do we have the name or full data sheet?) these numbers sound odd..could it be these are a "home brew" module? could it be that you made the 100 watters out of 42 cells and are making some more with 30 cells?

i do know that some of the "ebay" type specs for the cells can be very misleading and hand assembled panels are questionable as far as predicting output and lifetime estimates.

oh., and our controller takes care of the function of blocking diodes..no worries there. (however many commercial modules have "bypass diodes" built in for shading concerns)

kind regards, dave

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!