Meters

52 Posts
Sep 13, 2007 06:32 pm
Meters

I was talking with a client today who is looking for a "neutral isolated meter socket" that was required by his utility inspector for his PV grid tie system. I had never heard of this requirement before (or this type of meter) and I wasn't able to find much on Google either.

Has anyone heard about these?

163 Posts
Sep 13, 2007 09:34 pm
Re: Meters

Chris,

The NEC code says that neutral and ground can only be bonded in one place. This can be in either the meter box or the main panel.

This just sounds like a roundabout way of telling him not to put a ground on the new meter box.

I have a spare meter box in my garage that I just looked at and there is a lug for a ground wire connected directly to the neutral lug, and the neutral lug is on a metal bracket mounted on the metal of the meter housing. The lugs for the two live wires coming in and going out are of course mounted on insulators.

Maybe its just a local requirement, but it seems like that inspector is asking for a meter box with the neutral lug mounted on an insulator and the ground lug mounted directly onto the main frame.

Seems like a crazy requirement to me since you no longer have access to the meter box after the utility company places their seal on it, so all you have to do is make sure there is no ground on it before the utility company seals it.

I guess out of an abundance of caution he wants the meter box grounded, but he does not want neutral and ground bonded in the meter box.

Maybe there are different rules for meters on the load side of the panel box, but I don't know where my code manual is right now. Perhaps the simple solution is to ask the inspector for the name of a supplier where it can be purchased.

John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!