solar panel

1 Posts
Sep 10, 2009 10:10 am
solar panel

i need to make 50 kwh per day what do i need?

99 Posts
Sep 10, 2009 12:19 pm
Re: solar panel

A better conservation plan.

46 Posts
Sep 10, 2009 05:32 pm

Haaaa ha ha!

578 Posts
Sep 10, 2009 06:32 pm

danny,

to harvest that amount of energy, you are looking at an array very roughly between 12kw and 20kw, depending on the variables. 

you can play around with various numbers here:

http://www.altestore.com/store/calculators/on_grid_calculator/

hope that helps,

james
altE store

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

99 Posts
Sep 11, 2009 02:25 am

Seriously though, can you specify why you would need to generate that much electricity?  The average American home uses around 30 kWh/day.  My 3200 sqft off-grid home uses about 6-8 kWh/day and generates that with 1.7 kW of wind/solar hybrid.  Conservation is MUCH cheaper than generation.  What loads can you reduce first?  What are your biggest loads?

Sep 11, 2009 07:07 am

50 kWh's per day from a photovoltaic array.
If the prospective site for this array will see the equivalent of 4 hours of full rated power per day, as averaged out over the four seasons of one year and, this PV array is a flat plate collector angled at latitude all year... Then it will take a PV array of, at least 12,500 watts or 12.5 kW respectively.
Even if you could obtain this at $3.00 per watt that would amount to $37,500.00 not installed.
If you were to purchase this from the utilities at the going rate of $0.12 per kWh, that would amount to $6.00 a day or $2,190.00 per year. So, $37,500.00 divided by $2,190.00 would equate to a payback period of 171 years. Remember, that was not installed and your kWh's may vary. To the best of my knowledge PV modules are only warrantied for 25 years.

Potentially, a PV array of this size would be best located in a region of a continent that sees a high average amount of sunlight year round, as well as an area that sees unobstructed sunlight from the earliest sunrise to latest sunset as well as being installed as a pole mounted solar tracker "orchard." Not to mention that, the power made would have to negate the expenditure. In otherwords, be profitable. But thats just my opinion. For all I know, you could be planning to power a small community with all this power. There are so many variables and, you weren't very specific.
http://www.energy.gov/

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!