Windmill Installation Costs

2 Posts
Nov 16, 2007 12:53 pm
Windmill Installation Costs

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to model a home's electricity costs for a school project.  I'm including the installation of a windmill.  I was able to find the price of windmills easily enough, but I know there are other installation costs, primarily the cost of the tower.  I know you can't give specifics since this is a hypothetical situation, but do you know what the average installation cost would be for an 80ft tower? Or could you give a high and low estimate?  Any help would be much appreciated.  Thank you very much.

28 Posts
Nov 16, 2007 03:32 pm
Re: Windmill Installation Costs

80 ft is relatively tall.  Are you sure it needs to be that high?

One thing that would make a major difference in cost is if the tower could be guyed, or if it must be free standing.  Guys will take a considerable area.  You should have enough area for at least 3 guy points 2/3 as far away from the tower as the tower is high, 2/3 * 80 = 60 ft, so that would be a triangle 90 ft across the bottom x 90 ft in height.  The guyed tower structure itself would be much cheaper than a free standing tower and the foundation needed to support it.  Can you fit a guyed tower in the area available? 

2 Posts
Nov 16, 2007 05:23 pm

A guyed tower would fit in the area available.  In terms of the height, I don't know exactly how tall it needs to be, but I would say at least 50 feet because there is a wooded area nearby that the windmill should be above.  Thanks.

11 Posts
Nov 20, 2007 06:22 pm

Hi  Adam. yes there are other costs. I bought a 29 ft tower from here, along with the lightning arrestor, cb boot/boot cover, 2 stop switch. I'll post what I got and what my costs are: Aprox costs

Air-X 24volt turbine: 550$
EZ Tower 29 ft: 500$
Delta La302 Lightning Arrestor: 47$
Circuit Breaker for airx: 25$
Circuit Breaker boot: 1.77$
2 Position Stop switch: 20$
2x 12 volt 35AH batteries: 173$
60 ft AWG 12 cable in Red/Green/black: 46$
(just ordered) Southwest 30amp meter: 22.05$

Most of that I got from this site. The Air-X can do those batteries according to it's manual, from 25AH to 25,000AH.
I didn't have much money so I couldn't get the top of the line stuff. I got some Inverters, though they're for car lighter sockets. I do have some clamps and controllers so I can use the power. I have a 75watt car lighter inverter, a 150watt trip light inverter, and a 375watt car lighter inverter. I have a female car lighter socket I clamp on my batteries so I've used the inverters before. The costs of my 2x 45watt solar pannels+ accessories = 650$, the cost of my wind generator+ accessories=1350$

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!