Solar Hot Water and Solar Radiant - Costs - Why so much extra for Radiant?

72 Posts
Oct 19, 2008 08:12 pm
Solar Hot Water and Solar Radiant - Costs - Why so much extra for Radiant?

Hello all,
I feel like I'm missing something.
Why do the kits for hot water + radiant heating cost so dramatically much more than hot water only kits?

For example:

Here is an example 'everything you need' for solar hot water
 that runs at about 3k
http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Water-Heaters/Climate-freezes-Closed-Loop-Systems/Closed-Loop-Systems-for-1-4-People/Closed-Loop-PV-Powered-w-Tank/AET-Alternate-Energy-Technologies-Ipv-80-40/p170/

Here is an example 'everything you need' for solar hot water + radiant heating that runs at about 9k

http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Water-Heaters/Climate-freezes-Closed-Loop-Systems/Combined-Solar-Hot-Water-Space-Heating/Heliodyne-Solar-Hot-Water-Space-Heat-1000-sqft/p6728/

I do understand that when doing both, you need to add an additional sqft of collector, and that you will also need a pump. The two combined might add 2k to the cost .. I think.

But why the additional 6k?

What am I missing?

220 Posts
Oct 19, 2008 11:47 pm
Re: Solar Hot Water and Solar Radiant - Costs - Why so much extra for Radiant?

hi keith,

it looks like we are missing some of the specs of those radiant heating systems here. neither the text nor the product documentation show the needed thermalboard and manifold with assorted valves. it does say "all components included (except piping)".

we just laid down 1200sf in new construction and they are getting about $4sf for that "special" board. if we did it again i would seriously consider laying down a high density 3/4" fiberboard then getting out the router for my pex channels, lay the circuit loops and then put an aluminum flashing over that. they are not giving away that pex tubing either. approx 50 cents a foot for the 3/8ths dia. the contractor insisted on the "red" but we have used the plain pex on water heaters without any trouble..maybe someone knows the reasons?

anyway we have not decided how to drive this system yet but only had that one chance to get it in the floor so we at least did that for now.

so it looks like the higher price is in line for the radiant system upgrade but the product description needs tweaking.

good luck and happy hunting.

462 Posts
Oct 20, 2008 10:06 am

Kieth, since you will have to purchase other components elsewhere, why not check the pricing on the given components while you are at it to see if you can purchase them cheaper locally. Basically all components are plumbing related. Check with your local plumbing supply. You should at least save some money on shipping cost and will help your local economy at the same time. Support your local plumber also, who may also be able to help you with your installation.
 Of course you will be better off purchasing the solar components here, panels, controller, sensors etc.

72 Posts
Oct 20, 2008 01:28 pm

David, thanks for the extra info on the board and barrier. That does help explain at least some of the missing costs.
But, I can't tell if that is the whole difference or not.

Tom,
I absolutely believe as you do about buying local where it makes sense. And as you have suggested ... a lot of the supporting materials would ideally be purchased through a local plumber.

22 Posts
Oct 21, 2008 05:15 pm

Keith, you are comparing different size systems from different manufacturers.�  The space heating is from Heliodyne, they are typically more expensive than the AET kit you were looking at.�  A closer comparison would be the http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Water-Heaters/Climate-freezes-Closed-Loop-Systems/Closed-Loop-Systems-for-5-People/Closed-Loop-AC-No-Tank/Heliodyne-DHW-System-for-4-5-People/p6760/.�  This does not include the tank, once you add that it is about $7k for DHW for a family of 5 or more.� 

The space heating kit also includes the Solar hot water module, which interfaces with the radiant floor system.�  The kit does not include any of the radiant floor components, like the board and barrier mentioned above.�  You would need to get all of that locally.

We are working on getting more details of the kit from Heliodyne, we'll update the site as we get it.

Amy
AltE Store
amy� @� altestore.com
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2015 05:24 pm by Amy Beaudet »

72 Posts
Oct 21, 2008 06:46 pm

Keith, you are comparing different size systems from different manufacturers.  ... We are working on getting more details of the kit from Heliodyne, we'll update the site as we get it.

Ah! Thanks for the extra info.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!