how-to book for renewables

26 Posts
Mar 22, 2007 02:45 pm
how-to book for renewables

Way back when, I built our solar system (I sure like the sound of that) using 'The NEW Solar Home' by Davidson as a guide. That book wasn't new in '88 and sure isn't now! When asked for advice, I would like to be able to offer a newer (in print would be nice) book or reference that would guide the process, from site considerations through panel installation to battery connection (with wire charts and all that). Basic-to-intermediate how-to for the handyperson. Any recommendations?

Jim

578 Posts
Mar 22, 2007 02:49 pm
Re: how-to book for renewables

pv design and install manual is top of the heap as far as I am concerned.  i used it as a text at san juan college, i use it to train/crosstrain our staff, and it is designed by the good folks at sei.

for thermal, there are other resources, but for pv, this is the best. 

here's the link.

http://store.altenergystore.com/Books-Seminars-Videos/Solar/Photovoltaics-Design-Install-Manual/p481/

- james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

26 Posts
Mar 23, 2007 07:38 am

Thanks for the tip. That book seems perhaps more comprehensive and technical than I was looking for, but since all I have found up to now is pretty fluffy, this looks like the one to go for (too much is better than too little, right?)

OK, so what are good resources for thermal, to which you allude?

thanks again...

Jim

20 Posts
Mar 23, 2007 06:02 pm

The SEI book is indeed the standard.
It's always better to have a bit more info than you think you need.  Later, you can go back and it will all make sense.
I found typos and errors in some of the examples in an old copy, but hopefully that's fixed in current version.

If you want a simpler, down to earth PV training manual for small off-grid systems, developed for developing countries aspiring technicians, I recommend you go to the bget.org web site (in Thailand, but broadband is fine), click on "downloads" and download the PV system training manual - a 3.2Mb pdf.   However, it will not include any information on grid-tied systems or on US NEC standards.  This manual was developped by Green Empowerment (US), Palang Thai (Thailand) and others, and is one of the incarnations of what Green Empowerment has been using in village projects for several years in multiple countries.

Enjoy!

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!