What would be the cost of a PV system for an "average" income household?

3 Posts
Aug 28, 2006 09:03 pm
What would be the cost of a PV system for an "average" income household?

Hi all.....
  First off I want to say that this is the best site I have seen on renewable energy products!
And to have a forum with such knowlegable people is a plus!
  I live on the coast of Maine,and have worked in the "Building Supply" for 19 years.I have just recently gotten into the solar area.I have 120 watts of PV panels,and an Air-x turbine.Covering my lumber supply deliveries of roughly 50 square miles,I have seen a MAJOR ammount of solar activity in the last year.
 Unfortunatly 9 out of 10 PV systems I have seen,are from new construction sites.Meaning....new homes,on property that no "Local" could afford.And some of the local Electricians have told me that it seems to them,is that the only people who can afford "solar" are the wealthy people buying the coast up.Which I personally have no problem with.I only wish that someday,"locals" who feel strongly about the enviroment could help out and benifit also.....

Thanks to you all for letting me vent.....:-)

John

27 Posts
Aug 28, 2006 09:09 pm
Re: What would be the cost of a PV system for an "average" income household?

Hey John, I completely agree.  Its all about getting these systems out there.  Whether its 120 watts or 10KW, every panel in use is empowering someone and off-setting Fossil Fuel use.  Plus, its cool stuff!!--Ben

The Alternative Energy Store
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.AltEnergyStore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x101  or +1.978.562.5858 x101
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

1 Posts
Aug 29, 2006 12:46 pm

Hi,
I would like to be able to get more info on this "avg home" as well. I have a cabin about 10min outside of Bangor. Trying to get some solar info in this area has been rough! Nobody to help with implementing a basic system, but have had some architects who will incorporate it into a new home! :-(
Being "off grid" is the best...most of the time! LOL

578 Posts
Aug 31, 2006 11:35 am

guys, there is no average home.  the amount of space your house takes up has no bearing on how much electricity you use in it.  a pv system is based on YOUR electric loads.  not your neighbor, not the average american home.  It depends what your goals are.  100% of your electric loads, or maybe 50%.  Or perhaps from this angle:  "I have $10,000 I am willing to spend on renewable energy, what does that get me?"  It is not that most people cant afford solar, it is that they choose to spend their discretionary budget somewhere else like a car or boat or something else.  If you say "solar is too expensive to power my whole house"  then yes, if you are comparing it to the electric company, you are right.  the initial investment for meeting an "average" home's electrical needs completely with solar could easily be $60k.

I would bet that your electrician friends have other toys that they are willing to spend money on, but they don't look at solar the same way.  A Harley will likely not pay itself back.  The solar will.  People can justify a Harley because it is fun, a status symbol, and an activity.  Often those people do not see solar that way, but as an overpriced nice idea, that does not make economic sense in comparison to just buying their energy from the electric company.

what I am getting to is that this topic is near to my heart, and there are a ton of misconceptions about photovoltaics.  Keep your eyes peeled for new articles in the how to section on pv systems for less than $10k, and articles in the community section including interviews with customers about their systems.  If YOU want to do something with solar, do your homework, call us up, and we can get you pointed in the right direction to fit your needs and wants.  Don't worry about the jones's house down the street that probably rolled the pv system into their home loan.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2006 11:38 am by James Cormican »

27 Posts
Aug 31, 2006 07:15 pm

Great question, probably the number one question we get asked. And the truth is there is no simple answer.
  The average cost could be as small as $3000 or as large as $100,000. Its not the size of the home, but the energy consumption of the home that determines this answer.
  You can figure this out by looking at your electric bill. See what you consume per month in KWH on average.  And then choose when of our Energy Calculators from the link below to figure out what a system roughly would cost.
http://howto.altenergystore.com/Calculators/c5/
  But above all, the rule of thumb is thus "For every $1 you spend on making your loads more efficient, you will save $5 in system costs." Meaning its better to work on making all your electrical loads as efficient as possible first before you try and figure out costs of designing a system.

The Alternative Energy Store
http://www.AltEnergyStore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x101  or +1.978.562.5858 x101

3 Posts
Sep 3, 2006 02:41 pm

Hi all.....
Been a few day's since I've been online.As my phone lines were messed up......
Thanks to all of you who have posted a reply.....
ANY..Information is knowledge,for all of us....
 Even though I cant be totally "off-grid"..It does bring a smile to my face when in the evening,I can have lights in my place that are being run by the batteries that I charged during the day.AND recharge ALL of the batteries needed to run my 6 year old son's toys..:-)
 Last month was my lowest power bill yet,$50...And half of that bill was the "Delivery charge...$25!)
   Keep up the great work everyone!!!
And thanks again, John

Sep 6, 2006 12:08 am

John,
I, like you feel like middle america is getting the short end of the stick. The federal incentive favors large commercial customers while the masses will only see $2000. Still, the technology is truly amazing, coupled with conservation efforts one can defer a substantial amount of fossil fueled electricity. If and when I am able I will build an off-grid home, hopefully hydrogen fuel cell storage will become affordable. Meanwhile I have a 320 watt stand-alone system to power my patio lighting with components from AE Store.

578 Posts
Sep 6, 2006 02:36 pm

Rock!

good work michael.  shoot some photos, we are going to have the gallery up on the community section soon.

cheers

james Alt-E staff

AltE
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107

3 Posts
Oct 16, 2006 05:37 pm

SWEET!!!!Last months power bill was $43.
And today I just ordered a MPPT controller..
  Unfortunatly my Air-X turbine hasn't done so well...Being in Maine....But I'm still hopefull for this winters wind!!!Still the best site on the net...
Thanks All...
   John

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!