What will replace oil wells-?

25 Posts
Nov 10, 2008 03:05 pm
What will replace oil wells-?

Enclosed is a URL address to a possible energy gathering machine. Do you think it could work-?

97 Posts
Nov 10, 2008 04:30 pm
Re: What will replace oil wells-?

Hi Thomas D.  This concept does indeed work and was first used in 1922.  It is used in many places around the world presently.  Iceland is a prime example of geothermal usage.  This link explains it well:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothermal_power

351 Posts
Nov 11, 2008 01:32 am

Yes, geothermal works.
Will the seaflum work as sketched, no.
Read the notes.
"Gravity pushes the water up at a speed of 32 feet per second."
Since when does gravity push anything up ?
Ken

184 Posts
Nov 11, 2008 08:57 am
Oil, Who Needs It?

Solar panels could replace oil wells, if you have enough of them.  Expensive, yes, but doable.  If your daily work commute is short, you could power an electric car, in addition to powering your home.  Your food could be grown using fossil-free farming techniques.  Fuel to heat your home could also be grown. I heat mine with corn.  I've already cut my fossil fuel use by 50%, and I have a SMALL pv system at the present time.  Can you imagine the impact if everyone would do that? 
See http://solarjohn.blogspot.com

25 Posts
Nov 11, 2008 09:45 am

Your link states: "As of 2008, geothermal power supplies less than 1% of the world's energy."

Within 15-20 years oil will no longer be able to sustain the world’s energy needs. You can google annual oil consumption and divide that into known world oil reserves and you will see that we are running out. In fact world oil reserves are being depleted at a rate of 3% a year. You can also compute the energy returns using solar and wind combined compared to the energy return we are now getting from oil. From this you will see that wind and solar combined can never replace the energy return we are now getting from oil.

Having said that it becomes clear that we need to find a replacement for oil in a big way and wind and solar is not the solution. It will help but it can never meet the energy needs of the world.

Having said that.,.,,there is only one other source of energy that can replace oil and that is geothermal. That is why I have presented this energy machine. There is no other way.

25 Posts
Nov 11, 2008 09:53 am

I congratulate you on your energy use. You do set a great example of what could be done on a local level. But what I am talking about is much bigger.

Actually solar panels are not doable. They can produce localized energy for small applications but solar panels can never power factories. Factories and other large energy consumers will have to either get their energy from other sources or shut down. Either we find that big power house to run the industrial sector or we shrink our economy to accommodate less and less energy.

I think there is a better way.

351 Posts
Nov 11, 2008 02:51 pm

“there is only one other source of energy that can replace oil and that is geothermal. That is why I have presented this energy machine. There is no other way.”

I think your problem is that you are looking for a single source replacement for oil. I do not believe that exists. The solution will be multifaceted. Many different sources adding up to produce the final result. While there Solar cannot keep a factory running 24 hours a day, solar energy produced and used during the day can offset oil use or save water for hydro, so that energy can be used to keep that factory running during the hours of darkness.

The biggest problem with geothermal is that much of that resource is too deep in the earth to do us any good. It can be either prohibitively expensive to reach, or in many cases it is just impossible with today’s drilling technology.

Production of geothermal steam has many problems associated with it. It leaches minerals from the earth, including many sulfides, arsenic, and other toxics, which need to be removed. Especially, if steam/water vapor from a cooling tower is going to be released to atmosphere.  This will be even more important if you ramp up the amount of geothermal production.

It takes vast quantities of water, and it is preferable that it is not saltwater. Maintaining a turbine that uses geothermal steam is labor intensive enough, without increasing the salt content of the steam. The existing corrosion problems associated with geothermal steam would be much worse using heated salt water.

To keep the Geysers resource running, they have been catching rainwater runoff and reinjecting it since the late 70’s. They pump the local streams when they reach a certain flow level. They are pumping treated sewer water from up to 40 miles away (and uphill over 3,000 feet) to maximize steam regeneration. (And they do not subtract the vast quantities of electricity used for pumping, from their net production figures. That power use shows up as a customer)

One of the world’s best geothermal resources is Yellowstone National Park.  Would you care to lay a wager on the odds of building power plants there ?

People that have not been around it, often view Geothermal as a green resource.  But there are just as many ecological impacts to be mitigated (and you could argue more) as a fossil fuel power plant.

25 Posts
Nov 11, 2008 03:31 pm

I agree that geothermal is not a clean energy source. I also agree that we need to use all the available energy sources that are out there if we are to continue to grow our economy and feed our children.

But I disagree that the problems you outlined make this a no go proposition. Every objection that you have listed so far can be overcome. There are literally thousands of miles of geothermal rifts on the ocean floor where magma is being pushed to the surface. There is no need to drill for it. The environment is unsuitable for humans but machines can do all the work while we enjoy the benefits. Frankly I don’t see an alternative. The sear magnitude of the energy we need to sustain our economy is just too big and to sit back and think wind and solar will save the day is just being naive at best.

I believe that once you realize the economy of scale that will be needed to replace fossil fuels you too will start thinking about geothermal as well. Once you get to that point we can discuss technical ways to make this work. I don’t hold any ownership rights to this concept or the drawing provided. I am putting this out there for anyone to use and improve.

351 Posts
Nov 12, 2008 02:32 am

Thomas:

I never said that geothermal is a no go. All I said was your idea of it won’t work. While most of the technical problems might be overcome, it is not worthwhile to pursue them. The cost of such a project would be prohibitive. It would drive up electric rates to a level never seen in this country. We just are recovering from $5.00 a gallon gas, I do not want to see $5.00 a kilowatt electricity.

While there are thousands of kilometers of mid ocean ridge, most of it is not that hot.  So, you will either have to drill for the heat.  Or, you are going to have to cap off a bunch of hydrothermal vents.
http://www.ocean.udel.edu/deepsea/level-2/geology/vents.html
Capping off those will destroy a very fascinating ecosystem.

“you too will start thinking about geothermal as well.”

I don’t need to start thinking geothermal. I am one of the few people you will ever run into that can say that I (along with many others) have built geothermal power plants. Over 400MW worth. So, I think I’ve got a pretty good handle on what we have been able to do with it, and what we can’t.

Ken

184 Posts
Nov 12, 2008 09:34 am

People tend to think that they need 1000kwh per month to power their homes.  And, of course, a large and costly PV array would be needed to provide that much power.  There is a perception that to make do with a smaller system would be a step backward, and would result in a less-comfortable lifestyle. 

In reality, most of those who currently use 1000kwh per month could easily get by on half that amount if they would make a few energy-efficiency improvements.  After a modest investment, the homeowner would not experence any adverse quality-of-life issues.  It would actually be a quality of life improvement, since the homeowners electric bill would go down. 

With this in mind, suddenly the cost of a PV system is cut in half, since the size of the system required is cut in half. 

If this can be done in the home, I see no reason why it couldn't be done in industry.  We could easily have a 50% reduction of fossil-fuel use across the board, which would have a tremendous impact on the environment and the economy.

If our government is willing to bail out irresponsible financial institutions, and auto companies who've made bad decisions, perhaps they could boost the incentives for going green, improving the financial outlook of such an undertaking. 

25 Posts
Nov 12, 2008 05:55 pm

“Capping off those will destroy a very fascinating ecosystem.”

The “save our ecosystem” stuff is a bit overdone. These volcanic rifts that pour magma up into the ocean floor covers hundreds of thousands of miles, including active volcanoes as big as you can find in Hawaii. The area “disturbed” would amount to about 0.00001% of this ecosystem. I think a few crabs and worms would not be missed considering that there would still be millions undisturbed.

The world consumes about 85 million barrels of oil a day.

For the moment let’s set aside the amount of coal and natural gas we are consuming and just stick with oil.

I don’t have the numbers but maybe you do. What would be the surface area of the solar panels needed to produce that much energy-?

I am not being stubborn, I truly want you to convince me that things are ok and I just need to chill out. That is what I am hoping you can do.

Thomas

351 Posts
Nov 13, 2008 01:03 pm

What part of  “While there are thousands of kilometers of mid ocean ridge, most of it is not that hot.”, do you not understand ?

The hydrothermal vents are rare occurrences scattered along the thousands of kilometers.  The largest vent field discovered to date is about the size of a football stadium.
While the magma is pushing up along the plate boundaries, it is well cooled by the time it reaches the ocean floor. Consider it cold rock being pushed up into place by the magma below it.  At most spots along the ridge, you are going to have to drill 1-2 miles down (or more) to get the same type of heat that is expelled at the vents.

The water temperature (bottom) along the mid Atlantic ridge generally runs in the 2-7 degree C range.  This would also be typical of most of the other plate boundaries.
Many of the measurements of Hydrothermic activity are measured in a few hundredths of a degree C temperature rise.  The hot hydrothermal vents pouring out 200-400 degree C water are rare. The number discovered to date are fewer than the known geysers and fumaroles on land.

Since we don’t understand how these fit into the chain of life, nor do we understand how they impact ocean temps, currents, et cetera, It would be foolish to wipe them out.

You are not talking about “0.00001% of this ecosystem”. You would be destroying 100% of it, for many, many miles. Kind of like destroying an oasis in the desert. 

Even the largest of these vent fields would not produce a lot of power.  Do you have any concept of the amount of steam it takes to run say a 55MW power plant ?  How many gallons of that hot water do you think you would need to produce that amount of steam?  How many gallons of cold water would it require to  condense that steam ? Extra credit given for the reason you want to condense it.

Nov 13, 2008 05:59 pm

“Capping off those will destroy a very fascinating ecosystem.”

The “save our ecosystem” stuff is a bit overdone. These volcanic rifts that pour magma up into the ocean floor covers hundreds of thousands of miles, including active volcanoes as big as you can find in Hawaii. The area “disturbed” would amount to about 0.00001% of this ecosystem. I think a few crabs and worms would not be missed considering that there would still be millions undisturbed.

The world consumes about 85 million barrels of oil a day.

For the moment let’s set aside the amount of coal and natural gas we are consuming and just stick with oil.

I don’t have the numbers but maybe you do. What would be the surface area of the solar panels needed to produce that much energy-?

I am not being stubborn, I truly want you to convince me that things are ok and I just need to chill out. That is what I am hoping you can do.

Thomas

ok...maybe we should just put a thermal energy production plant on top of your home ...

1 Posts
Nov 17, 2008 05:57 pm

I feel like one item won't replace oil completely but I can think of various solar and other options that could be combined to drastically reduce oil consumption. I'm currently working on a project to put solar air heaters on low income homes. Taking a big chunk out of heating oil usage is a big step forwards towards replacing oil.
http://www.rerenewables.com/soda-can-solar-space-heater-designs  Is my collection of solar air heater videos.
GJ

25 Posts
Nov 18, 2008 09:44 am

Your skepticism is noted. But short on facts. We have only discovered a few vents so far because we have just started looking for them. The ocean is a big place and only a very small fraction has ever been explored. So to say that we would be destroying all of them is a bit short sighted?
And your idea that we would have to drill down 2 miles or even a mile to reach molten rock doesn’t pan out either. If supper hot seawater is pouring out of these vents it can only mean that the molten magma is just feet below not miles.

There is one fact you need to understand. The world is consuming all the oil there is. Just Google known world oil reserves and annual oil consumption. Divide consumption into reserves. At current consumption rates this tells you how long it will take to consume all of it. This date will occur during your lifetime. If that is not something to be concerned about it should be.

Having said that what other mega energy source are we going to use to replace oil--? Wind and solar combined can never produce the huge quantities of energy we are now getting from oil. Knowing this, what other choice do we have but geothermal--? If you don’t like my proposal then fine, what is your alternative-?

351 Posts
Nov 18, 2008 03:41 pm

“We have only discovered a few vents so far because we have just started looking for them.”
The first one was discovered in 1977. We have been looking for them for over 31 years.
While I will agree that more will be found, why do you expect to find more geothermal hot spots at underwater plate boundaries, than occur along plate boundaries above water ? 

“If supper hot seawater is pouring out of these vents it can only mean that the molten magma is just feet below not miles.”
Your assumption is invalid.
http://www.extremescience.com/deepcreat5.htm
“A hydrothermal vent is a lot like an underwater geyser. Sea water seeps down into the cracks and fissures created by the spreading of the sea floor, sometimes as much as two or three miles into the earth’s crust.”

“So to say that we would be destroying all of them is a bit short sighted?”
You would be destroying all of the known ones with one or more small power plants. I don’t think you could get 55MW out of all of the known ones. That was the purpose of the questions, which you did not even attempt to answer.

“At current consumption rates this tells you how long it will take to consume all of it. This date will occur during your lifetime.”
Again, your assumption is invalid. You have no idea how long or short my expected lifetime is.  And I don’t even want to guess at what your math might be.

While wind and solar (or geothermal) will never replace oil, they can all make a contribution to the energy problem. It is an energy problem, not just an “oil problem”.

220 Posts
Nov 18, 2008 08:00 pm

hi folks,

�  up until very recently i thought i knew the basics on the care and feeding of modern steam turbines. this thread has prompted me to have a closer look at the technology. (extra credit) things have really changed since the school days. has it actually been over 30 years? i never would have guessed as to the importance of the steam condenser in these modern combined cycle turbines. they really suck. but in a good way. as johnny used to say " i�  did�  not�  know�  that "

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Johnny_Carson

also interesting is gordons soda can solar panels. neat.

cheers.

-no matter how far you push the envelope it remains stationery.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2008 08:05 pm by david ames »

351 Posts
Nov 19, 2008 01:08 pm

David:
Extra credit awarded.
The condenser vacuum is important to all condensing steam turbines, including the modern combined cycle. Most science teachers and even some engineering teachers do not fully explain its’ importance.
The condenser vacuum will vary according to design. But many run in the 2-4 inches Hg range (1-2 psia)

When you start loosing vacuum (pressure increases), you need to run a lot more steam through the turbine to perform the same amount of work. This drop in efficiency increases the fuel consumed (dramatically) on a per kW or MW basis. The hot well/condenser outlet and the cooling water temperature both climb, from the heat (work) not extracted from the steam.
You can use the vacuum as a plant barometer. Healthy condenser vacuum equals healthy power plant. Not so healthy vacuum, a not so healthy plant.

Ken

25 Posts
Nov 21, 2008 11:32 am

GIVEN THE VAST AMOUNT OF ENERGY WE CONSUME I SEE NO ALTERNATIVE EXCEPT GEOTHERMAL

While everyone is preoccupied with the global warming hype few realize the real catastrophe heading our way.

Comparing annual world oil consumption to alternative energy sources, this is what I have found.

It is projected that the world will consume about 36 billion barrels of oil a year by 2010.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/oil.html

The barrel of oil equivalent (bboe, sometimes BOE) is a unit of energy based on the approximate energy released by burning one barrel of crude oil. The US IRS defines it as equal to 5.8 × 106 BTU. 5.8 × 106 BTU equals 6.1178632 × 109 J or about 1.70 MWh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_of_oil_equivalent

36 billion barrels of oil = 61,200,000,000 MW of power

By 2010, the World Wind Energy Association expects 160GW or 160,000 MW of capacity to be installed worldwide, up from 73.9GW at the end of 2006, implying an anticipated net growth rate of more than 21% per year

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power#Wind_energy

The annual production of 160,000 MW of wind energy would have to increase 382,500 times the current production to equal the energy we are now consuming in oil.

The unpopulated area of the Sahara desert is over 9 million km², which if covered with solar panels would provide 630 terawatts total power. The Earth's current energy consumption rate is around 13.5 TW at any given moment (including oil, gas, coal, nuclear, and hydroelectric).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_energy#Photovoltaics

If the entire Sahara desert, over 9 million km², was covered in Photovoltaic panels it would produce 630,000,000 MW of power.

61,200,000,000/630,000,000 = 97.14 Sahara deserts

As of January 1, 2007, proved world oil reserves, as reported by Oil & Gas Journal,7 were estimated at 1,317 billion barrels

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/oil.html

If we consume 36 billion barrels of oil a year and the total oil reserve is 1,317 billion barrels then at the current consumption rate the well will run dry in 36.58 years.

19 Posts
Nov 21, 2008 12:56 pm

Thomas,

Your points about peak oil are well taken. I don't agree with your assumption that if we don't maintain the same level of energy consumption as today, our civilization will face collapse. That's not to say some big changes aren't soon coming down the pike!

I would suggest that the typical (overall) inefficiency with which we've used energy (mostly fossil fuels) is founded simply in the nature of those fuel sources themselves: wide availability (again, speaking globally) and high embodied energy. It's like the fossils were a gift from [insert higher power identity here] to allow us to raise the global standard of living dramatically for most of humanity, AND has allowed us to develop the technologies to find OTHER, "greener", sustainable energy sources and methods of use. Now's the time to roll over into the renewables, and they will be from many sources.

The main point is that I think the calculus of our economics and our standard of living should not be tied to energy represented in the fossil fuels we use since we use them so hideously inefficiently (overall). As John D has illustrated, we could (relatively) easily use FAR less energy to achieve the same ends. We haven't done so simply because of the availability and nature of fossil fuels--- cheap and plentiful. Arguably, we've kept our heads in the sand about their coming depletion for so long that it's going to be a fast scramble to make The Transition (as I like to call it), but make it we shall.

I predict that, looking back in, say, 50 years, we will be able to graph worldwide energy consumption in constant units and see the rapidly rising curve represented by the Industrial Revolution, then a big drop during The Transition, then perhaps a steady and gentler rise in the post-Transition period. At the same time, I think a graph of the global standard of living will rise steadily (excluding, of course, the, after all, more critical effects of a human nature: poltical, economic, and justice issues affecting populations and nations). There won't be a direct link between the two graphs because we will have finally addressed and conquered the efficiency problem that made the energy graph's rise so absurdly steep.

~Ben
AltE

25 Posts
Nov 21, 2008 05:02 pm

My pessimism has been set aside and I am now joining the optimistic folks like you. It is better to be happy than live a life full of concerns. But having said that, there is nothing wrong with spending a little time looking at geothermal as a possible saving grace, even if the need is not at our doorstep yet.

Frankly the idea of tapping geothermal in a big way intrigues me a lot. I can see new technologies harnessing this energy while grabbing all the other benefits like minerals useful gases as well. After all the energy potential on the ocean floor is a new frontier with almost limitless potential.

You have taken the edge off of my pessimism but still my intrigue in the potential energy resources at the bottom of the ocean remains.

Take care and thanks for your reply

25 Posts
Nov 22, 2008 05:40 pm

“The main point is that I think.,.,.,.,, we could (relatively) easily use FAR less energy to achieve the same ends.”

This is where I think you are totally wrong. Energy is what fueled the industrial age. It takes power to make things and it will continue to take power and more the better. If you want to graph the expansion and development of the human race all you have to do is graph energy consumption. Doing with less energy just means living with less. This is not a forward looking approach. The key to the future of the human race will be electric power. Electric power is universal and can be converted into mechanical or electric/chemical power as well. Photovoltaic and wind power both begin this cycle by converting solar radiation or wind energy into electric power then from there converted into other forms of useful energy.

To convert electric power to mechanical force you need lots of amps. Photovoltaic sources cannot attain this energy output. Only source like hydroelectric and or in a much smaller scale wind can give you the amps you need.

Photovoltaic can convert chemical potential energy into useful work but it cannot produce the amps to convert this energy back into mechanical work.

Geothermal has the potential for high amp output just like dams whereas photovoltaic does not.

We should not be devoting our time conceding our limits and accepting the status quo.  We need to be devoting our energies developing limitless sources of energy. We need to be saying the sky is the limit it’s just a matter of figuring out a way to that end. Conceding that we must learn to live with less does not a prosperous future make.

351 Posts
Nov 22, 2008 06:31 pm

"To convert electric power to mechanical force you need lots of amps."
No, you need lots of watts. 1hp (mechanical) is 745.7 watts.  At 12V that is just over 62 amps, at 115V it is about 6.5 amps.   Watts are what perform the work.  Amps are primarily used for wire sizing.

You are totally wrong about PV "it cannot produce the amps to convert this energy back into mechanical work."
The only trouble with PV is that it best at mid day, and not available at night.  However, by using it during the day, you can save the water behind the dam, or save oil, gas, etc, for use at night. You are reducing the total fuel burn.

Nov 23, 2008 04:55 am

Methane Hydrates
http://fossil.energy.gov/programs/oilgas/hydrates/
The biggest problem with this is still pollution.
Then of course there is mining it from the oceans bottom.

19 Posts
Nov 24, 2008 10:06 am

Thomas,

You would have made a great industrialist or early Capitalist! ;-) The fact that we can do more with less is already proven-- witness increasing numbers of stories of improved efficiency, from households to industrial processes. For proof of my claims, take a look at EIA's figures for per capita energy use in the U.S. over the last 25 years:

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/25opec/sld020.htm

Read the footnotes. An overall decline has been recorded. And the graph stops short of reflecting recent efforts at increasing efficiencies. Would you say that, during the graphed time period, the U.S. population, as a whole, has suffered a decline in its standard of living?

And Ken's point is correct: amps is not the key in itself, power is. Did you know that an electric car can accelerate faster from a dead stop than a gas car? That's because electric motors are more efficient than gas motors lower on the RPM curve, so more torque (mechanical power) at the get-go. And I'm not sure what you're going to do with all your geothermal energy-- run a city on raw steam power? Sounds very... 19th Century! Aren't you talking about conversion to electricity ultimately?

The fossil revolution was a boon to which we became accustomed and does not represent the only way to use energy. All our energy production and consumption figures (and infrastructure and design concepts) are based on a cheap, abundant, very dense energy source. Of COURSE they're skewed, but we don't easily see that fact from "inside the machine," as it were.

By necessity, we will continue to find ways to do more with less, as we have done increasingly. CLFs instead of incandescents, LEDs instead of CFLs; the energy savings potential is tremendous. Fossils are great, but they ain't the only game in town. I think we should be devoting our time to evaluating HOW we use energy to do what we need to do (as well as examining what we claim we need to do, but that's another story!). We must find ways that are sustainable, ecologically neutral, and maximally efficient.

Cheers,

Ben
AltE
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2008 11:09 am by Benjamin Gorman »

25 Posts
Nov 25, 2008 10:27 am

“In 1978, the per capita use of energy peaked at 365 million Btu-a level not since repeated.”

I find the above statement a bit misleading. According to the above the US consumption of energy peaked in 1978. This cannot be factual.

year……    million  barrel import

2000………………9,071
2001………………9,140
2002 ……………9,665
2003 ……………10,088
2004…………….10,126
2005…………….10,118
2006…………….10,031

From 2000 to 2006 the US increased its imports of oil from 9,071 million to 10,031 million barrels. This does not take into account increases in coal and gas. It is inconceivable that our economy can increase in production without increasing in energy consumption.

I concede conservation slows the increase but I cannot concede that overall energy consumption has declined. I agree with you that we need to fine tune our technologies to get more out of the energy we use but this will only slow the growth of our energy consumption and not cause a decrease in overall consumption.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2008 04:37 pm by thomas dixon »

25 Posts
Nov 25, 2008 10:39 am

"To convert electric power to mechanical force you need lots of amps."

No, you need lots of watts. 1hp (mechanical) is 745.7 watts.  At 12V that is just over 62 amps, at 115V it is about 6.5 amps.   Watts are what perform the work.  Amps are primarily used for wire sizing.

By the definition of the units of ampere and volt, work is done at a rate of one watt when one ampere flows through a potential difference of one volt.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt

Spin this any way you want but one fact remains. If you have “zero” amps you have zero watts. One cannot exist without the other. The force that produces work is amps. It’s not the volts that can kill you, it’s the amps.

351 Posts
Nov 25, 2008 11:59 am

"The force that produces work is amps."
You are still wrong. Amps are watts divided by volts. It is a measure of current or flow. Work is measured in watts. Here is the wiki page on watts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt
Note that they talk about a human or a car engine doing work in watts. You do not find references to an engine doing work in amps.
You need to go back to school and relearn many of the things you think you know, because they are wrong.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2008 12:53 pm by ken hall »

19 Posts
Nov 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Thomas,

I admit that facts are often inconvenient to theory ;-)

I suppose time will tell on the issue of energy consumption rates v. standard of living.

Cheers,

Ben
AltE

25 Posts
Nov 25, 2008 12:56 pm

“Note that they talk about a human or a car engine doing work in watts. You do not find references to an engine doing work in amps.”

We seem to have gotten off on the wrong tangent. I am not here to argue with you about the definition of “work”. Let me repeat:

By the definition of the units of ampere and volt, work is done at a rate of one watt when one ampere flows through a potential difference of one volt.

Watts, amps, volts, current, .,..,.., they are all parts of the whole which is electric power. The ability to do work using electricity. My original post still holds. Solar panels will not save the day. They help, everything helps but to assume that solar panels can power our way into the future is wrong.

The unpopulated area of the Sahara desert is over 9 million km², which if covered with solar panels would provide 630 terawatts total power. The Earth's current energy consumption rate is around 13.5 TW at any given moment (including oil, gas, coal, nuclear, and hydroelectric).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_energy#Photovoltaics

If the entire Sahara desert, over 9 million km², was covered in Photovoltaic panels it would produce 630,000,000 MW of power.

61,200,000,000/630,000,000 = 97.14 Sahara deserts

My original point remains the same. Geothermal is the holy grail of energy potential and that is where we should be spending our R & D and in a big way now.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!