Temporarily Stopping a Wind Turbine

20 Posts
Oct 29, 2008 09:42 am
Temporarily Stopping a Wind Turbine

I have a Southwest Windpower Whisper 100 Wind Turbine.  Due to weather constraints and time available to install it, I will have the turbine up on the tower before the electrical work is completed on the power panel. 

The tower is separated from the building by about 300 feet.  I have installed a disconnect switch near the base of the tower and I want to prevent the generator from spinning unloaded while I complete the panel in the building.  Could I leave the disconnect switch OFF and jumper the three leads from the generator together to cause the turbine to stop?  Would this damage the generator?

Thanks,

Eric F.

351 Posts
Oct 29, 2008 04:15 pm
Re: Temporarily Stopping a Wind Turbine

How long will it be before the work is completed ?
How strong might the wind get during that period ?
Since Southwest Windpower does not provide a shorting switch, they may not like the idea.  You should probably call/e-mail them and get their opinion.

Ken

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!