Supplemental Energy Source

2 Posts
Jan 3, 2007 05:58 pm
Supplemental Energy Source

I would like to supplement my current energy source with a solar air heater. I live in an extremely cold climate where the temperature right now is -26 F. My question is will a Solar air heater work? The sun shines about 4 hours a day right now and is increasing. As the days get longer the benefits will increase. Is this a viable alternative?

7 Posts
Jan 8, 2007 01:32 pm
Re: Supplemental Energy Source

Solar air heating works on a principle similar to that of how your car heats up when left out in the sun with the windows closed.  So you may be able to use that as a relative comparison.  "Recirculating" air heaters take the air from inside your house and then heat it up in the collector before venting back into the house.  These collectors can often raise the temperature of the indoor air by an additional 50 degrees.  If you have a well insulated house, it will help retain the heat throughout the day.  It sounds like you have a sunny location, and that is what is most important.  Both the Cansolair Solarmax 240 and the Solarsheat 1500G from Your Solar Home are manufactured in Canada - where they know cold!

So to answer your question, "Is this a viable alternative?" I would say it could well be.  For under $2000 you would have a supplemental heating source that would allow you to utilize your main heating system less often during the day.    Additionally, there are some product reviews on the Alt-E website, so there is real feedback about these systems in place. 
 http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Air-Heating/Cansolair-Recirculating-Solar-Air-Heater/Ra240-Solarmax-Solar-Air-Heater/p297/
http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Air-Heating/Your-Solar-Home-Solarsheat-Products/Solarsheat-Recirculating-Air-Heating-Sys/Your-Solar-Home-Inc-Solarsheat-1500G-Glazed-Solar-Air-Heater/p2282/

Good luck and send some of that chilly weather to us in New England!  Kristen

The Alternative Energy Store
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altenergystore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 ext. 108  or +1.978.562.5858 ext. 108
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

462 Posts
Jan 29, 2007 04:29 pm

Don, have you considered building yourself a sun space? Basically it does the same job as the hot air heater but can be built much cheaper and sized and orientated to fit your needs.

6 Posts
Mar 21, 2007 05:40 pm

Solar heating will work just about anywhere, but whether it is the most viable solution to your problem is a more difficult question to answer. This depends on many factors, such has how many cloudy days you have in the winter, the cost of your current heat source and what other alternatives may be available to you.

If you answer/research some of these details, along with details of your current insulation, we can get closer to a sound answer. Meanwhile, I'll bet dollars to donuts that conservation measures like better insulation, better weatherstripping and better window coverings will be a more viable investment.

For more details on possible energy investments, see my blog.

Energy Guru
www.energy-guru.blogspot.com

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!