Storing Heat!

1 Posts
Jan 27, 2007 01:34 pm
Storing Heat!

Hi!  I'm not sure whether this is the right place to be asking this question - but I'm sure somebody will tell me if it isn't!

A little background: I moved from the UK to southern Spain five years ago, bought a plot of land and am building a house on it - that is, my wife and I are doing all the building, block by block, which is why it's taken five years so far!  And no, I'm not a builder, I'm a retired IT consultant (OK, I know, I know!).

Anyway, I am really keen to make the most of the abundant solar energy available here, but it's a waste of time for hot-water heating, because in the summer, the mains water supply is about as warm as you want it for most things, including showering.  However, in the winter, the temperature can drop below zero, though there's usually a lot of sunshine.

What I really want to do is to run our underfloor central heating system almost entirely from solar power.  The house is well insulated, I have located a source of evacuated tube solar collectors and done the sums, and in principle it can work.  The problem I am now looking to overcome is probably a common one - how can I store the abundant heat I can collect during the day to use early the following morning - or even two days later if it's a heavily overcast day?

The first obvious solution is to have very large storage tanks for the hot water - more water, more heat stored.  But that seems a pretty expensive option, and I'm not so sure just how efficient it would be; so I've had another idea.

I'd like to cast a large block of concrete - maybe two cubic metres or so (70 cu ft), and well-insulated - with two sets of coiled pipes buried in it, one connected to the solar connectors and the other to a much smaller hot water tank.  I'm not sure whether the storage radiators that are popular in the UK are also popular across 'the pond', but it's the same idea - put a lot of heat into a well-insulated concrete block and take it out again when you need it.

Now the problem is that I can't find any references that tell me if this is a stupid idea or not; I guess most people don't have the opportunity to cast an insulated 70 cu ft concrete slab!  So would anyone like to offer their opinions?

Am I crazy, or could this just work?  Alternatively, can anyone offer a better solution so storing heat for this application?  Sorry for the long post - it's hard to explain in fewer words!  Thanks.

462 Posts
Jan 29, 2007 04:22 pm
Re: Storing Heat!

Phil, you should consider using solar for your domestic hot water especially if you plan on using it in the winter. Using SHW for radiant heat works well as long as you size and install the system properly. Installing radiant heat in an insulated slab is the best way since the slab will be your storage. Piping the zone directly from the panels is usually the best method instead of trying to store it somewhere else. Think of using the masses in your home as the storage medium instead of a hot water tank. If your home and everything in it gets real cold then whatever storage you have will be depleted in no time just to warm everything back up again. Size the system in order to give yourself hot water first and once that is satisfied, send any residual heat to the radiant zones or vice-versa.

4 Posts
Feb 11, 2007 11:16 pm

Hi Phil,
I would agree with Tom about using a slab as both your storage and source of heat. You could consider running the solar loop directly to the in floor heat, but be sure you configure it properly so that it is effective.
  As long as you are the builder, pour a floor of concrete throughout the house that you can lay a network of plastic tubing, designed for such a purpose into. You will find that radiant heating in floors does not have to be at such as high a temperature to allow one to feel comfortable.

You would also need a loop to store your domestic hot water as well, a couple of ball valves could be used on your supply from your collectors to divert your solar medium to a storage tank. Remember this will be operating year round so when you don't need heat you got to put that solar energy somewhere.
Jack

6 Posts
Mar 20, 2007 12:25 am

In general, I agree that if you have a concrete slab it can be a good place to store energy. You also mention building block by block, so I assume you are using concrete block, again a pretty good storage medium.

The only problems are whether these are well insulated and whether you can control the use of the heat. Because of this, there are advantages to having the storage separate where you can insulate better and control when the energy is used. And, virtually any mass would work. Concrete would certainly work, but why use some thing so expensive? Gravel, or even soil can be used and would be much cheaper.

Then, the same storage could be used for hot water and heating. I agree with the others that it makes sense to use the system for hot water as well. Unless the water is stored above ground it is unlikely it will be warm enough for bathing, let alone for dishwashing, etc. Besides, you will have lots of surplus energy in the summer.

I don't know if you plan on air conditioning, but if so you could use the same system for this by running it at night when you can radiate heat into the cool sky. Or, if this is not enough cooling in your location, it is possible to cool using solar heat. Again, the same mass could be used to store cooling.

For more details, see my blog at

www.energy-guru.blogspot.com

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!