Solar Power for a Fonera (Wi-Fi Access Point)

3 Posts
Oct 9, 2008 10:57 am
Solar Power for a Fonera (Wi-Fi Access Point)

I'd like to setup a wireless access point in an area where power is not available to me. The wall wart that powers the device is rated for 5V, 2A.

I'd like to attach a battery to power the device, which in turn would be trickle charged by solar power. The is a video showing multimeter readings of current at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHP2Yps1Rds

I'm looking for help in rightsizing the additional gear required, and of course as inexpensively as possible. Any hints at all will help me greatly.

/Tom

Oct 10, 2008 05:10 am
Re: Solar Power for a Fonera (Wi-Fi Access Point)

Don't know Wi-Fi from a hole in the ground, don't want to know but, 5 vdc X 2 amps X 24 hours / 1000 = 0.24 kWh's, or more simply put 2 amps X 24 hours = 48 amp hours at 5 vdc or, if you want to know what that is at 12 vdc then - 5 vdc X 2 amps = 10 watts. 10 watts / 12 = 0.84 amps X 24 hours = 20 amp hours at 12 vdc nominal.
By "wall wart" I assume you are referring to a plug in rectifying transformer?
If you are wanting to it all relatively simple and "off the shelf", get yourself two 6 volt, 220 amp hour "golf cart" batteries. Wire them in series for 12 volts nominal. Then; one PV module say 100 watt, a matching charge controller and, a dc to dc voltage converter, and most importantly - sunshine.
Lets see if I can help out a little more...
2 - Trojan T-105's - $200.
1 - Kyocera KC 130TM - $585.
1 - Specialty Concepts ASC-12/12 - $46.
1 - Power Stream PST-DAA1205(-2) - $31.
( http://www.powerstream.com/dc2.htm )
Mis.; wire, fuses, PV mount, etc., etc. <$200.
All of this would sum up to $1,000. but, you seem like a bright lad, you should be able to take this information, do a little shopping around and, work up a system to your own liking. Just remember that RE is a sellers market, no different than any other market. Happy hunting!

3 Posts
Oct 10, 2008 07:49 am

Thomas,

Thank you very much for such a comprehensive reply, and it was just what I needed, a starting point from which I can go out and beg/steal parts for, and hopefully get the costs down. In my case that would appear to be the Kyocera.

Thank you again, and I'll update my progess if anyone's interested.

/Tom

462 Posts
Oct 10, 2008 11:15 am

Tom, I would add a small inverter to the system also, then you can just plug in the AC to DC converter, that probably came with the wifi, directly into it. Then you can plug in other small AC appliances such as lights if needed.

3 Posts
Oct 10, 2008 06:28 pm

Good point, duly noted. I must say I'm getting great feedback here on this forum. I've been researching trying to power this device in computer-related forums and there is an awful lot of "chaff" around the subject. If you do a google on "fonera solar" you'll see what I mean.

For anyone who's interested, the fonera is an inexpensive device that can provide wi-fi access. By placing it on for example rooftops, or a public park (an area where A/C may not be readily available) it can function to relay mobile internet coverage.

10 Posts
Oct 17, 2008 01:49 pm

I tapped into this excellent forum a while back for much the same requirement. I had thought I would run wire to a tower for my wireless access, but that wasn't feasible.

I now have a 40' tower on a 200' cliff in the back of my property. It has 3 radios powered by a deep discharge 12V battery (~Cdn$250), which is being charged up by an 80W Sharp solar panel (~Cdn$550) running through a 30A charge controller (~Cdn130). I had some problems earlier with bears but that is behind me after building a metal-clad box ~4' off the ground for the equipment.

The tower has a 5.8GHz antenna for the back haul, plus two access points (2.4GHz and 900MHz). A bridge connects the 3 radios. Total power draw is ~300mA for each device, so ~1.2A continuous. The "wall warts" just drop the voltage to 7-14VDC so we discarded them and power the radios directly from the 12V battery. It is a good idea to install a switch to be able to shut off the power precisely and easily when you need to fiddle with the battery.

Not only do I now get good high speed service, but many of my rural neighbors are now being installed to get service too from the antennas.

I am concerned about the power draw though: we had a spell of cloudy days, and the battery dropped below 7V so the radios stopped. When the sun came out, things came back up, but 80W is evidently not enough for dismal months like November. Moreover, we will typically get down to -30°C during January, so even my heavily insulated box won't be sufficient to keep it warm enough.

I am considering adding a 2nd battery and a small wind turbine (~Cdn$650). The turbine will charge 24/7 and I think I can "dump" extra charge into a small heater if necessary.

Good luck with your AP; it sure makes a difference for those of us too far from cable or DSL.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!