Smallest PV size for Grid Tie

9 Posts
Mar 9, 2008 04:23 pm
Smallest PV size for Grid Tie

I'm toying with the idea of a small, i.e. about half a kW, solar array on my house and am wondering what is out there for small grid tie systems.  I'm also curious about what I should expect to pay to have the wiring done by an electrician in Massachusetts as I want this to be done with a permit.

I've got a fixed fiberglass overhang of the south side of my house that will need to be replaced in the next few years and I'd love to replace it with PV (or PV & Thermal) panels.

Thanks,
Jon

578 Posts
Mar 10, 2008 10:28 am
Re: Smallest PV size for Grid Tie

funny you should ask . . .  all of these systems were designed to be under $10k and allow for growth.  system #3 is on our building and with any luck will be on my mom's house by september.

http://store.altenergystore.com/Kits-and-Package-Deals/On-Grid-Grid-Tied-Systems/Alt-E-Designed-Grid-Tie-Packages/c1087/

http://store.altenergystore.com/Kits-and-Package-Deals/On-Grid-Grid-Tied-Systems/Alt-E-Designed-Grid-Tie-Packages/Micro3-Grid-Tied-Residential-Package/p5673/

note that for the rebate in massachusetts, the system must be 1000 watts to qualify.

feel free to call me, and i could suggest folks local to mass to do install work.  you should expect to pay $10 per watt of system for installation and equipment.

cheers

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

9 Posts
Mar 10, 2008 11:24 am

Thanks, the micro grid tie systems are what I was looking for in general.  Would it be possible to substitute Evergreen panels, like the ES180 ES190?  I like the low embodied energy, physical size of the panels and the price seems the cheapest per watt through the Alternative Energy Store.

I'm hoping to do the physical installation myself as I'm likely to do a non-standard setup and use the panels as structural elements for the walk-way cover.  I find it unlikely I could find someone that would install the panels the way I am thinking.  I hope to build in a small hinged flap next to the building to be able to adjust the angle from +15 to -15 degrees of the Boston Latitude.

Any idea what an electrician might charge to wire the panels and the system together or how long that would take someone?

Good to know about the MA rebate needing 1kW.  How much is the rebate at that point?

578 Posts
Mar 10, 2008 11:31 am

no you cant substitue evergreen modules because the voltages are different.  they are lower and would take far more to turn the inverter on.  you can design a system around those, but that would be a differnt ball of wax.

I do not recommend doing a grid tie pv system by yourself or even with an electrician that is not trained to deal with photovoltaics.  you will also likely be inelligible for the rebate as there are rules governing the system and the installer.

search on commonwealth solar, or massachusetts tech collaborative, and you will find the rebate info.

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!