Saving Money on Water Heating

97 Posts
Feb 26, 2009 12:50 am
Saving Money on Water Heating

I came up with a way of reducing my electrical consumption for water heat that may or may not be of general interest, but thought to share it with the forum, and possibly get some feedback on pros or cons.  I have heard that heating water with electricity accounts for 20% of of household power consumption, and have noticed this substantial drain on my alternative energy system.  I am currently operating off-grid for over 90% of the time with solar and wind power and seeking to make that 100% eventually.  I realize that electricity is not the most cost effective way to heat water, but this modification cost me nothing and no outlay for an alternative method of heating using solar or wind.  I have a 52 gallon water heater, and use only about 10 gallons of hot water a day, since I wash clothes with cold water and find that they get just as clean that way.  The hot water is only used for showering and washing dishes.
The water heater has two heating elements.......top and bottom.  The top element is for quick heating of water near the outlet and has the overheat thermal safety breaker as a part of the thermostat, so I did not wish to mess with this safety feature and left it alone.  I disconnected the bottom heating element, which is the "cooker", and heats the entire tank after the top element has done its job.  As a result, I am heating a smaller volume of water, and using less energy to do that, with no adverse effects of depleting the hot water supply.  The energy saving is dramatic with much less load on my system.  I could opt for a smaller volume hot water heater, but find that they use a 4700 watt heating element, as compared with the 2000 watt element in my current heater which is more friendly to my energy system and produces less instantaneous drain.  Are there any negative effects of doing this?  Any feedback or ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks,  Jon C.

Feb 26, 2009 07:11 am
Re: Saving Money on Water Heating

The only foreseeable down side to this is that the top element might come on more frequently and stay on longer than normal while water is idle.
Hot always flows into cold.
As the heated water in the top surrenders to the cold water below it might call for more heat more often.
 Shouldn't be much more though and still a lot less energy� than both elements working I would think.
Include a timer so it only comes on prior to anticipated use.
It would be cool if somebody could do a controlled experiment on that.

I have often wondered if it would be ffeasibleto route the clothes dryer exhaust through the flue of a converted gas water heater tank as a way of reclaiming otherwise lost heat. It would act solely as a preheater. Problem is we hardly ever use a the dryer. We just hang'em on a clothes line and let the Sun and wind dry them.
Here is another approach someone came up with.
http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/recovery.html

More fun stuff.
http://www.waterheaterrescue.com/pages/whh/pages/water-heater-museum-home.html

97 Posts
Feb 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Thanks for your input, Thomas.  Interesting links on geothermal water heating and different types of historical heaters.  I have a geothermal heat pump, but did not consider using it to heat water, because it is a small unit and there is no reserve heat available......all is dedicated to household heating and AC.  I haven't seen the need to use a timer on the upper water heating element since I have observed it coming on only once a day for 5 or 10 min, as compared to before the modification, when the lower element would come on twice a day for 20 to 30 minutes.  Since still water is somewhat of an insulator, the element only turns on when water is being used and is in motion, so there has been no effect of the top element turning on extraneously.  On the subject of using waste electric dryer heat......I have installed a switchable dryer vent that exhausts the hot dryer air into the house, through a lint filter screen in the wintertime and recovers the heat that would otherwise be lost to the great outdoors.  In the summer, of course, the clothesline is the preferred method of drying. Smiley  Jon C.

220 Posts
Feb 26, 2009 02:50 pm

hi folks,

jon, i can back you up on those claims of energy savings on that water heating issue. i have been using a similar technique for the past 18 months and the results have been nothing short of dramatic. in my case though being in a rented flat i have not altered the hot water tank in any way. i simply leave my tank off until ten minutes before showering turning it off just before getting in.

this tank is a 40 gallon unit with one top and one bottom 4500 watt heating element. the ten minute on time is enough to heat the top 10 or so gallons of water from the standing temp (room temp or slightly above) to a reasonable enough shower temperature. that amounts to just 750wh's per shower. i find the key to this method is not to stir the tank with a huge volume of water draw to keep the tank from mixing. this low flow shower head does the trick nicely.

http://www.green-logic.net/05gapermiwol.html

we have all seen the warnings about under heated water tanks. namely the threat of legionnaires'

http://blog.mlive.com/home_improvement/2007/09/water_heater_and_legionella_ba.html

i have never been concerned about the health risks with this method but is something to be aware of. i occasionally find myself driving around town without my seat belt on and that is a much greater risk in my opinion.

the one thing that has me worried a bit though is the cycling of the breaker every day. the action of these double breakers is very violent and i wonder just how many on off cycles (not trips) they might endure.

regards, dave

ben has some interseting topics on the altE blog pages.

http://blog.altenergystore.com/Greenword/5003641523/2008/12/01/they-did-what/
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2009 03:04 pm by david ames »

97 Posts
Feb 26, 2009 04:17 pm

Thanks for that tip, David.  I had not thought about legionella bacteria that thrive at temperatures below 130 degrees.  I have been running my water heater temperature at 110 degrees for the last decade and haven't croaked yet, but I think you are right about the seat belts..........better chance of dying that way.  I'm not tied into a city water supply, but rather use a cistern to collect rain water for domestic use.  I do treat the water with chlorine though, and that may be of some help. (crossing my fingers here) Smiley  Jon C.

19 Posts
Feb 26, 2009 11:34 pm

I have a similar situation in S.AZ where I am off grid with a 3500 watt solar system:  I was using 30 gallon propane tank for on demand hot water; so I purchased a 19 gallon HW electric tank from lowes and turned off the propane tank; the 19er  uses a 1500 watt single element preset at 120 deg. and does nicely for a decent shower; I plan on installing another one in tandem and alternately turning them on for a total of 38 gallons for a real decent soaker shower; takes about 45 minutes to heat up before the element slips into on and off mode to maintain 120 degrees; Also, I insulated the tank double with a water heater blanket. I will put one under the kitchen sink for on demand for dishes.  Of course, multiple units cannot be run simultaneously...maybe two units for a total of 3000 watts between 10 am and 2pm on a clear day..., but the hot water is free and free fits our budget esp. after spending 40+ large on the solar set up. Summers are so hot that the water is hot enough so that no water heating is needed.  After the water is heated up, the tank does not seem to use that much elec. while just storing the hw. and hw. from one heating is still available...providing no cold water was introduced into the tank... the following morning after unplugging the unit at 2PM which is at the end of the apex of the solar optimum power  generation. 
« Last Edit: Feb 26, 2009 11:37 pm by William Clark »

22 Posts
Mar 31, 2009 12:22 pm

David,

Breakers do have a life span of number of times to trip it.  I would recommend getting a water heater timer to automatically turn it on and off for you.  I bought one at Amazon, it was pretty inexpensive.

Amy Beaudet
AltE Store

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!