Renewable City Generation

6 Posts
Feb 26, 2008 12:54 pm
Renewable City Generation

Do you think that in the future there might be ways devised to use low power production with a grid tied system for us city folks? We have wind on our roofs and rain in our gutters yet not enough power to invert, and not interested in batteries.  Is the issue purely electrical or is the demand for this type of product too small?

Thanks

William

Mar 1, 2008 06:02 am
Re: Renewable City Generation

Word.

I started this by looking up the definition of the word "city."

1 - A large and densely populated urban area; may include several independent administrative districts.
2 - An incorporated administrative district established by state charter.
3 - People living in a large densely populated municipality.

Reacuring words here would seem to be; large, densely populated, and administrated or delibarate.
To answer your questions, I wish I could. Cities, like a lot of other intentional structures, are/were built with an established infrastructure which, in and of itself does not lend itself to retrofitting new infrastructure in very cost effective ways.
Next would the word large. the phrase "a small city" might be considered an oxymoron, like "jumbo shrimp" or "pretty ugly" so this in and of itself would dictate large systems for whatever purpose.
 Logic would dictate that the intention begin with a renewable and sustainable infrastructure. So with that in mind, I would say that yes, there is a future for cities built with RE in mind. One that comes to mind is methane production from human waste, both sewage and garbage, that in turn fuels microturbine electric generators, that also provide heat for many uses.
And then there is the homo sapiens, commonly referred to as people. We all know the rest of the story from here. After all, an Ape is not going to be reading this with any comprehension. Maybe Ape descendants.   
« Last Edit: Mar 1, 2008 06:05 am by Thomas Allen Schmidt »

184 Posts
Mar 2, 2008 08:24 pm

I'm curious William....  You have a roof over your head, so why can't you put solar panels on it?  Are you in an appartment building?  And if it isn't practical to put PV on you roof, why not in the backyard?

I live in a city and I have PV on my roof.  It's a small off-grid system that meets some of my electrical needs.  It also serves as a backup system for when the grid fails. I have pictures posted on this website, and on my blog.   

John

6 Posts
Mar 3, 2008 07:44 pm

John,
Thank you for responding.  I have 2kw of solar panels on the roof but I have run out of space.  I didn't know that inverters were so specifically made for the solar function.  Can you give me any ideas as to how I can put together the wind and hydro with such low voltage?  Thanks William

184 Posts
Mar 4, 2008 10:13 am

John,
Thank you for responding.  I have 2kw of solar panels on the roof but I have run out of space.  I didn't know that inverters were so specifically made for the solar function.  Can you give me any ideas as to how I can put together the wind and hydro with such low voltage?  Thanks William
I'm no expert on hybrid systems, and I'm not sure how to answer your question.  My small system is wired for 12-volts.  It's simple really:  5-pv panels wired in parallel, a 12-volt charge controller, 12-volt batteries wired in parallel, and a 12-volt Exeltech 1100-watt inverter.  I've added a voltage-controlled-switch to prevent over-discharging my batteries.  Of course you'll need more equipment than that for a hybrid system. 

1 Posts
Mar 4, 2008 02:34 pm

This is my first post here.
My mind can't stop thinking about Alt_E.

So I hope my efforts are in the right place.

I think of energy on many levels.

stand-by
grid
off-grid
ups
transportation
experimental
extra terrestrial

urban 
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN2Fkf8LNVs&feature=related

rural
hand held
renewable
industrial
govermental
residential
personal

Please help me condense this.

with so much emphasis on green house gas times must change.

so since this thread is about future "city energy" I'll say this.

we should find a model that all city properties have, or the biggest denominator with a city.

Which in my opinion is a home property.

schools, prisons, and gov agencies im not worried about.

business need thier own dependable power so they will be to slow to change.

so it comes back to homes.

joe shmoe from kokomo�  is my guy.

If he knew his total expense for five years of his home energy .�  � something like�  $8,000�  he may start�  trying to
curb his needs.If he knew he drop it $1,000 and put $7,000 towards the principal on his mortgage.It might make him say"�  HMMMM�  THAT WOULD SAVE ME 40,000 IN PRICIPAL +15,000 OF INTREST� HMMMMM"

Im not talking about new homes -
Im talking about the old ones that are huddeld 8feet apart two stories high.

There are not very many resources available.
some wind�  some solar.

If the average old house WAS RETO-FITTED�  with a solar energy panel it would be easier and cheaper to just move leaving the old problem in its place.

I remember back a few months ago that two scientist discovered a way to apply a dim solar agent to a special paint.
that way it was just swabbed on outside walls and surfaces without the need of expensive manufactures.�  making any flat surface a solar panel.but it was a weak system. but still more than nothing. especially cause here is a new
holograghic lens that can increas that by�  10x

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/25/2050253

I keep�  waiting to hear about those guys. because it made my head spin. if we use it in a sealant that could swab over existing roofs.it would be a cost effective to start ALT_E changes in the cities.�  we spend at least $5,000 every ten years on roofs. Why not KILL two birds with one stone.

I do believe the technology exists right now today to further this idea to a reasonable implementation.� 

so combine Mr. Shmoe's house with wind and gray solar and lets see what wattage he can get on a 40x100 lot. In america gray water could be harvested from the same roofs and sold to countries that are desparate for water.The profit from that roof water could essentially help offset the homes enerngy maintenance costs.�  That way the pipelines would still be pumping something usefuel.

HECK if it meant charging up a golf cart size commute vehicle with a 50 mile daily range. I would remake my yard to swab a green solar paint grid in stead of grass.

I think its important for the whole world to understand that all people need free transportaion to and from work. In order for a world wide economy to be stable,but if it pullutes hen its not the right choice either.

I also think home lighting costs will continue to go down as smater devices will make our homes regulate themselves as we walk through them. so thats not something to aim for because its already happening.

I also saw on INVENTION NATION away of using poop�  � thats right poop as a small catalyst�  , but its posionous . But i do think alot of future resources will be a matter of dealing with wastes.�  wether its from farms or cities there is a lot of poop out there, and some guys actually found away to extract electricity from it.� I also think that lab is aiming too high they want to make it work on a huge grid scale , so i hope someonne goes and makes a home and business version.
So im thinking its not too far off and we'll see a rethink of septic systems. if add this to MR SHMOES home's resources then he would have 30 barrels of water/trash/wind/solar/poop.of which he pays for now rather than recieves benifit from.
businesses have already started utilizing waste for profit by recycling cardboard and metals. It wont be long befor schools and prisons see poop as low energy resource too?

I hope with our vehicles we dont wind up with a monopolized resource agian ie oil. I hope that future developers see the need for standardized fuel pack.
I mean wehter it has gasoline/battery/hydrogen fuel cell/or whatever comes next that gas stations wont have to be re desinged�  just the way we refill . so that we as a city can choose global or local recources.

Lets say something the size of a two litter bottle with an easy to use handle wieghing less than twenty pounds that we load manually. I mean its super easy to just pump gas, but now were stuck with gas stations that must use only liquid fuel. Liquid fuels mean greenhouse gas no matter what type is burned. I'm not sayin shut it all down I just saying if there were a standardized way to insert fuel to a car it may level the playing field at he refueling stations and competion would help keep price gouging in check with competion. Also if MR. SHMOE can recharge his own fuel cartriges at home and at work then the zero emission transportaion of the future wont be far off.� 
 THINK about it ?
If a person makes a big salary them driving a big suv is�  cool .I dont have a problem with that .

Many of us are poor so geting to work is a cost to our hourly wage. I work a half mile from home so i spend $10 a week, which 1/40th of my pay but some of my co-workers live 30 miles away and they spend $50 a week to do the same job which is 1/8th of his pay.
 So my thought was not to get rid of SUVs or gasoline . just to rethink our commute vehicles . As small as a golf cart hybrid travels 40mph and can be recharged from MR SHMOE's wind/solar/poop home to cut his need to stop at a refueling station along his commute to work. Once business's start to utilize the idea that its a benifit for thier employies�  revamp their parking lots to maximize solar collection. they will help employies with like me� save $520 extra per year or MR SHMOE who saves $2600 just on his commutes. did i mention the green house gases to boot.

I just cant see liquid fuel�  being the main fuel for the near future without creating environmental travisties. so a standardized fuel capsule should keep any one resuce from dominating everything and buying up competitive markets, inventions, and innovations.

further when it comes to cities�  � we need to know things like old or growing and climate. Its funny that have a need for city workers like police and fire but not an official charged with the resposibity to maximize a cities resources.
hydro/wind/solar/trash power.

were seeing off grid communities in the deserts and in the mountians�  with wind grid communities also growing.

So to me the hardest part of getting�  city residents to change thier resource for power will be up front cost
and the rate which it is returned.

funny how were getting a cash tax rebate when what we should be getting is an up front energy refit allowance!

I wrote this and im still going to disney intead of upgrading my house.

I dont see these ideas as radical. Just making use of what already exists.

So what im thinking is a whittling away of the total energy needed making for smaller grids�  more accessible instead of being dependant on single monoploized for profit power infra structure. let me restate that. If the largest grid has to accomodate everything�  then were stuck.

if we lower electrical needs from homes/vehicles/ then the larger grids can be reduced to lowerer usages - opening up to other localized power generating resources. Like local hydro/wind/solar/poop/fossil.

If you read all that and your still with me.
heres a small story i hope challenges you.

There was a butterfly sitting on a tree. I asked the butterfly do you know that your on a living tree ?
he butterfly said "no that cant be i've lived here my whole life and it has never moved or even made a sound. Of which i repiled it is alive it rows from a seed into a tall oak and it uses the sun to cleanse the air for many years provides homes for many critters such as butterflies and squirels, and when the time is right after ive collected its many seeds to more trees . I'll cut it down and make a house from it. Still the butterfly just couldn think of the tree like that.
I think we all see how cities are like trees that grow,mature, and then die. If we just sit in them thinking it has always been here its never moved or did anything to make us think thier alive or effecting the sorrounding envirnment. It's a mistake. the people that live in cities are alive if we keep them healthy then a cities life may go on for infamy as a home for all things. Its the livelyhood,standard of living,and harmony with nature that is at stake.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2008 08:01 am by ommas merchbank »

1 Posts
Mar 8, 2008 08:48 pm

As a rule, most cities are filled with houses and trees nearby.  This really puts a damper on wind power, which loves wide open prairies, oceans and mountain passes.

Inconvenient houses and trees also create some problems for solar gain on most city lots.  If we had solar zoning laws in cities, solar might work better. 

Using locally available power is inherently efficient anywhere.  All new buildings and rebuilds should use solar-assisted heating now.  As for electricity, I believe the costs of photovoltaics are coming down and the price of oil is going up, but we haven't yet hit intense profitability.

Mar 13, 2008 05:52 am

"Do you think that in the future there might be ways devised to use low power production with a grid tied system for us city folks?"

"I have 2kw of solar panels on the roof but I have run out of space."

Is this a trick question? You have two thousand watts of photovoltaic modules producing on average around six kilowatthours each cool, sunny day and you want to know if in the future there might be a way to wire this into the grid?
You do know about grid intertie inverters dont you?
Since you have access to build on your roof then must certainly have access to build on your main or sub. electrical panel. Unless of course the local jurisdiction has taken precedence over the matter. It would seem odd though if they issued you a permit for the PV array and it passed inspection but would not allow grid connection. I am little confused.

26 Posts
Mar 14, 2008 10:25 am

William
If you do not mind me asking,why do you want to attach to the grid ?

This has always made me curious. From most of what i have read, most people, make very little cash on selling power back to the grid.
A licensed electriccal company has to do the install $$$.
ok , you would get a rebate but would not alot of money be spent on labor and install ?, taking much more of an initial bite of upfront cost(how long does it take to get a rebate ?)

If you are grid tied without battery backup,you lose when the power from the grid goes down. That does not make sense to me at all.If you do have battery backup,that can add $$$ to upfront costs and of course the total dollars spent goes up.
Being tied to the grid,you have a monthly service fee ,a tax fee, surcharges up the wazoo and of course tax on top of tax ,only surely to get worse.

Obviously, A lot of people do this .

What the heck is the big picture i cannot see ?

Anyone please chime in so I can sleep at night,these questions have been bugging me for too long.

Thank you , It is appreciated.

9 Posts
Mar 14, 2008 01:09 pm

Robert, to answer your question from my personal perspective, I would love to have a grid-tied system because for every kWh I would put back into the grid, that's 1-3 kWh worth of fossil fuel not being burned at the power plant.  As it stands, I have a tiny off-grid system that I am playing with, but can't power much with it.

Also, being tied to the grid, enables you to install a smaller system that only supports part of your load.  That system can be expanded over time to meet all of your needs, but many places don't have enough usable solar area to meet their needs.  Grid-tie systems (at least those without battery backup) require less maintenance than a system with batteries that need to be replaced every 5 or so years.  They are also easier to design because you do not have to meet your load precisely or provide backup generators when the sun isn't enough.

Loosing power once in a while is not a big deal for most people.  My electric company shut down power for about an hour for maintenance this past week and even though I was aware, I forgot to do anything about it.  All I had to do to recover from the outage was power on one computer (DVR) and reset the clocks on the microwave and oven.

And finally, I would consider it helping out the local community by providing them with clean power when my production exceeds my load.

I hope this helps you see the bigger picture and you can sleep better.

26 Posts
Mar 15, 2008 05:06 am

Jonathan
 Thank you for the reply. Living here in the sunshine state
 has let me forget, there are a lot of places that may not have much solar gain, thus they would need a really large system.costing extra dollars and space, There is a point i was missing.

Battery maintenance does not seem to be a big deal at all but people living in highrises or certain conditions surely may have a problem and or the cold/may not have a place for generator...got that now too!.

On helping the community and power grid ...thinking having your own system is a big help in its self, as we(seekers and doers of renewable energy/recycling waste.) are making investments for ours and others futures and the very large majority are not, so there is no guilt feeling there.

Also here in Florida , we get a lot of strong fronts and storms ,even small tornado's or microbursts, so we lose power sometimes for more than a week. Could be why i lean towards battery backup so much. Still like that setup for here, The panels do such a good job ..thinking about a second battery bank actually.

Thank you Jonathan, You have, helped me with some answers
Appreciate it very much.The picture is a bit clearer now
sleep should not be a problem lol.

Rob

6 Posts
Apr 8, 2008 10:55 pm

It was possible in Malmo, Sweden.

Watch ECHO TECH on the Science Channel, episode: "future fuels" or was it "powering up"?

COME

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/zev-independence-day-rally

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!