Paint / Coat roof to reflect sun's energy?

76 Posts
Jun 5, 2008 10:36 am
Paint / Coat roof to reflect sun's energy?

My house has a shingle roof.  As you can imagine, they're black.  Black absorbs the sun's energy quite well, so in the summer, I'm spending precious electrons cooling the house.  Eventually, much of the south-facing roof will be covered with solar panels.  For now, though, I was wondering if anyone has tried painting or coating their south-facing roof with anything, and if it had any reasonably positive effect for the cost.

I have a few ideas of my sleeve, but want to hear from anyone that's tried it first.

Thanks!

edit:
I found a "reflective roof coating" on Lowes.com website, but it isn't carried in my area.  I went to McMaster.com, and they do have a white and silver roof coating, so I purchased a 1gal. kit of the silver, and will apply it over the weekend, weather permitting.  Using just a 1gal. kit, I expect to only cover a portion of the south-facing roof.  I'll use a pyrometer to measure roof temps the next day.  I'll also go inside and measure ceiling temps.  If there's a considerable difference, I'll get the larger pail (5gal.) and do more, and monitor the electric bill.

I intend to take my home off-grid next year, so anything I can do to reduce the bill now will save many $$ in PV and batteries later.
« Last Edit: Jun 6, 2008 08:50 am by Travis McMillian »

Jun 7, 2008 01:57 am
Re: Paint / Coat roof to reflect sun's energy?

Unfortunately modernistic building practices do not lend themselves to the convection principles found in nature. They come from a time when a lot of homes had to be built in a hurry and affordably to keep up with a population explosion. In my region there are still homes being lived in that never had insulation in the walls or ceiling or floors. Single pane windows and an open crawl space foundation. Knob and tube wiring. One, although not lived in, still has its original 120 volt 30 amp utilities service intact.
 Several characteristics of these homes are high ceilings and tall windows close to the floor, as well as plaster and lathe interior wall finish. Some with Horse hair in the plaster. Large Oak trees all around, front porches and sheet metal roofs. Its a common site here in the Carolinas.

I can only imagine that they were very hot in the Summer and very cold in the Winter but that it made for a very interesting character, for those that lived in them back then.

Now, in contrast to that old style there is Earth sheltered homes. If only they had been the established way instead of the stick built homes.
http://www.daviscaves.com/index.shtml
http://www.thenaturalhome.com/
And then there is...
http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/mpons/solaradsor.htm

163 Posts
Jun 7, 2008 01:21 pm

Travis,

I don't know where you live, but I believe that the black shingles also help to warm the house in the winter months for those who live at higher latitudes. Maybe a local builder could advise you on that.

I live in the tropics, and can be considered almost fanatical about keeping heat out, so I have white aluminium shingles put down on a reflective "Peel and Seal" coating.

If your black shingles are an advantage to you in the winter months, then another option would be to vent your roof in the summer months, but have it on a switch that you can turn off to keep it warm and cozy up there in the winter.

76 Posts
Jun 9, 2008 03:25 pm

Travis,

I don't know where you live,
Mid-Missouri.  We have all four seasons here.  Sometimes in the same day.

but I believe that the black shingles also help to warm the house in the winter months for those who live at higher latitudes. Maybe a local builder could advise you on that.

I live in the tropics, and can be considered almost fanatical about keeping heat out, so I have white aluminium shingles put down on a reflective "Peel and Seal" coating.

If your black shingles are an advantage to you in the winter months, then another option would be to vent your roof in the summer months, but have it on a switch that you can turn off to keep it warm and cozy up there in the winter.
I don't think they're much of an advantage in the winter.  As part of our off-grid home plan, we'll be switching from electric home heat to wood burning stove.  We'll keep the electric elements in the water heater and HVAC only as a backup.  We can take the home heat off the electrical load, but we can't do that with the A/C in the summer.  Evaporative cooling doesn't work in my area, since Missouri summers tend to be more humid than just hot.

I did find that the local Lowes has this reflective roof coating.  I picked up a 1 gal. bucket, and applied it to the roof.  At 83°F outside temp, and 125°F shingle temp, the coating on the roof was only 85°F !!  From 125 to 85 is a pretty huge difference, so I'm going to coat more of the south-facing roof.  Before I do, I'll take temp readings from the ceiling (gotta love my IR tire pyrometer) of all the rooms.  The idea would be that for the thermostat set at, say 80°, the ceilings, especially in rooms further from the HVAC blower, should be cooler after application.

I'll know by week's end.  It looks like tomorrow thru thursday should be rain-free, so I'm going to run to the hardware store and pick up more of the roof coating today!

76 Posts
Jun 12, 2008 10:01 am

I've coated about 1/2 the south-facing roof with reflective aluminized asphalt roof coating.  I've learned a few things:

1) you can never have too much ice water on hand
2) black asphalt shingles are hot
3) silver asphalt shingles make you hot by reflecting the sun's energy back onto you
4) did I mention it's hot up there on the roof?
5) your wife will be angry when your son comes down off the roof and won't come clean.

It's supposed to rain again late tonight or tomorrow, so I need to wait until after friday for applying more of the coating.  I started above the rooms furthest from the HVAC (the ones that would gather and retain the most heat).  I'm hoping to have the whole south-facing roof done by the end of next week.  I'll have an electric bill in 3 weeks.  We'll see if it's lower than the 13 month average and lower than same month last year.

76 Posts
Jun 27, 2008 01:31 pm

Just wanting to let everyone know:

So far, I've  put on one 6 gal. of the coating, and it covered about 1/3 of the roof.  It should have covered more, but it was a learning process finding the best way to mix it, spread it, etc.  I don't think we've had a particularly mild June, but the electric bill this month was lower than in June of '07 and '06 (when I started keeping track).  I have another 5 gal. that I've already purchaed, but it got too rainy to put on.  I'll be putting that on this Sunday (if it doesn't RAIN!!), and that should coat another 1/3 or more of the south-facing roof.  That will be 2/3 to 3/4 of the south-facing roof that will be coated before the next electric bill.  August and February are our highest electric months, since our home is all-electric.  Hopefully, I'll get the whole south-facing roof coated before August, and I'll post final results once it's done.

cliff notes: not even the whole roof is coated, but it already seems to help the A/C usage to have a reflective aluminized roof coating!

5 Posts
Feb 23, 2009 08:58 am

Travis
   its more than 6 months since you painted your roof. Are you still happy with the paint?  I fixing up a house in central Texas and have lots of roof exposure and would like to hear your present view of painting your roof tiles.  Mine are less then 3 years old and rain is something we dream off and sun something we expect.  Hope you are still arount the site.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!