Old PowerUp panel compatability?

73 Posts
Jun 1, 2008 11:27 am
Old PowerUp panel compatability?

I would like to increase my charging abilities of my small system. I currently have a PowerUp model #BSP-2012 and want to get another PowerUp panel to match this one from the Alt-E storefront. However the one listed in the store "looks" completely different than the one I have, yet has the exact same specs as the one I have.

the Alt-E PowerUp panel
http://store.altenergystore.com/Solar-Panels/1-to-50-Watt-Solar-Panels/Power-Up-BSP20-12-20W-12V-Solar-Panel/p1024/

my PowerUp panel
http://gallery.altenergystore.com/James-Johnson-gallery/v/7059083552/

Are these 2 panels the same? Will they work together in parallel for a 12v system?

OR I could get a 40watt panel..to make the system a bit more minmal, and have a capability to expand in 40watt increments, rather than 20watt increments. Would this be a better idea? If so, which 40watt panel would you recommend, keeping in mind that I will likely be expanding in 40watt increments..over the next 2-5 years. With maybe a max of 200watts total or so...

thank you

James

73 Posts
Jun 2, 2008 06:46 pm
Re: Old PowerUp panel compatability?

Bump...

anyone?

James

578 Posts
Jun 3, 2008 10:03 am

as much as we try with over 3000 things, sometimes pictures are incorrect.  i can try to see what it really looks like.  worst case, if you get it and it is not the same, we can take it back for you, and then we can get the right picture Wink

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

578 Posts
Jun 3, 2008 10:06 am

you have some choice at the 40w size, but if you are concerned about quality, pick one that is UL listed.  off the top of my head i think that the kyocera and bp may be the only models at 40w that are UL.  the spec pages will show that info.

james
Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

18 Posts
Jun 3, 2008 12:50 pm

If the specs are the same then you should be able to use the "newer" panel with the old.  The spec for max volts and amps has to be very close (or same).

The manufacturing techniques change over time, businesses benchmark each other and low cost practices are adopted to save money and produce a better product.  The "newer" panel may just show this.  You will have to decide if 2 panels that may look different are going to hurt your final goal (looks great or works great).  From what you put in your post - you want more power.  From that point the 20W panel will do.

Want to go 40 Watts?  You can do that too. The bigger panels are lower cost per Watt (cost/watts=cpW) and if you buy 2 you may have plenty of power and they will match.  Of course you will have an orphan 20W panel that cannot be used with the 40W panels (well actually it can work if you hook it to it's own charge control).  Speaking of charge controllers - you need one big enough for 40W panels.

If you just buy one 40W panel and want to add another later (year or 2) you may have the same problem as you have now (process improvement).

73 Posts
Jun 3, 2008 03:02 pm

much thanks for the replies James & Mike.

I think I'll go to a 40w system and get the BP Panel. My current charge controller wont handle the upgrade. It's a Morningstar Sungaurd 4.5 amp controller. Any suggestions on a PWM controller, keeping in mind that I plan un upgrading the system in 40w increments, up to approx 200 or 240w. More than Likely I'll keep getting the BP panels and if things go well, I'll have em all by the end of the year!

thanks again for the help

James

18 Posts
Jun 4, 2008 03:11 pm

My vote is for the Xantrex C35 charge controller. (full disclosure: I own and use one)  It will wire up as 12 or 24 volt, will handle all the current (above what you specify).  The options for this meter include a temp sensor and production meter (cumulative resetable amp hour counter) both of which can be bought anytime.  The meter can be remote mounted or front panel on "the box".  You can also hook up this controller for a diversion load (once batteries are charged then apply power elsewhere) like a 12v water heater element for your electric water heater or 12v fan for cooling.

All this for less then $100 bucks.  (Sensors and meter sold seperately)

73 Posts
Jun 4, 2008 08:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Mike..good call. It should fit my needs perfectly, as I plan on having the power center a distance away from my studio..so the remote will come in very handy.

Heck I could continue upgrading in 40w increments for quite some time with the Xantrex. Thanks again Mike for the help

James

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!