NOVICE Q: Solar feasibility in Northeast US suburbs

1 Posts
Jun 1, 2004 12:05 pm
NOVICE Q: Solar feasibility in Northeast US suburbs

Greetings,

A few questions from a total tyro here.  My wife and I are considering a solar setup to provide some of the heat for our hot water (both "potable" and for forced hot water heating.)  The intention is to try to stop burning as much oil as we do to heat the water.  We live in central Massachusetts.

1) Is there enough sunlight in the Northeast US to make this feasible/cost effective?  (I'm thinking both of short winter days and overcast days all year.)  This ain't exactly SoCal...

2) What about winter weather?  We are in the "snow belt", so we often have a lot of snow on our roof.  Would we have to clean off the panels after each snow storm?  What about ice storms, which occassionally put an inch or two of ice on everything?

3) Our roof slopes basically to the southwest and the northeast.  My understanding is that a south-sloping roof is ideal.  How troublesome would this be?

4) Are there in fact water heating systems to do this sort of thing?  How tough are they to retrofit in a two-story house with the current system (oil burner, hot water tank) in the basement?

5) Is there anything else I'm not thinking of?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Burke

462 Posts
Jun 23, 2004 07:35 am
Re: NOVICE Q: Solar feasibility in Northeast US suburbs

burke, here are some answers to your questions;
1. new england is perfect for solar. Lower temperatures and clear skies in the colder seasons actually increase radiation gain. System work well year round.

2. using hot water panels. Radiation actually penetrates the snow and ice to heat the panel which will eventually melt the snow. Or, you can just turn on your pump manually to run hot water into the panel from your tank or boiler to melt the snow. Or you can consider a ground mount, then you can clean them whenever it is needed.

3. South is best, you can alway tilt the panels. You just have to be careful of shading.

4. Yup, you can use the hot water for heating too. Using a heat exchanger tank you can send hot water through your radiant heat or baseboards or fan assisted heat exchanger.

5. pumps, piping to and from panels, insulation and controls and wiring......

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!