Ike, spiked gas prices, and our need for a plan to use alternative energy

12 Posts
Sep 14, 2008 09:10 pm
Ike, spiked gas prices, and our need for a plan to use alternative energy

Just as gas prices start to fall slightly and we felt like there might be hope along comes Ike and causes them to spike to an all time high. Families everywhere are wondering where else they can cut back to cover the cost of fueling up the family vehicle to get back and forth to work and take care of the necessities of life. There is no money left for relaxation and family fun. The stress level continues to rise. Most areas of the country have seen a sharp rise in their electric bill as power companies pass their increased production costs on to consumers. The price of a gallon of milk is almost as precious as a gallon of gas. The cost of every consumer product has risen sharply. Americans are stretched to the limit. Jobs are being lost, foreclosures are increasing at an alarming rate. Seems even the family pets are suffering the high cost of fuel as almost daily a sad new story is on TV about shelters being forced to euthanize record number of surrendered pets from those forced out of their homes due to foreclosure or they simply can't afford to feed them anymore. The energy crisis in our country is far reaching and needs immediate attention. Our economy is in a sorry state of affairs directly related to the high cost of fuel. We have become so dependant on foreign oil that we have neglected to fully utilize such natural sources of energy such wind power & solar power. Along with modern technology such as plug in cars, hybrid cars, v2g technology ,and regenerative braking, technology we still seem to be floundering as a nation as to devising the best plan utilize all that is available to us and lift ourselves out of this mess we are in. We need to take our closest look at which candidates put our economy and energy crisis at the forefront of their agenda. The Manhattan Project of 2009 by Jeff Wilson pretty much says it all...

www.themanhattanprojectof2009.com

Sep 17, 2008 06:36 pm
Re: Ike, spiked gas prices, and our need for a plan to use alternative energy

Lets look and see how much Federal money will be spent to help fund this "Project", shall we?

Oh! I guess we'll have to buy the book to find out.
Sorry, I need that money to purchase more over priced PV modules for my off grid home.

Article 1 section 8
Necessary and Proper clause
Main article: Necessary-and-proper clause
Finally, Congress has the power to do whatever is "necessary and proper" to carry out its enumerated powers and, crucially, all others vested in it. Thus, Congress may establish a system whereby those who violate laws are punished though the Constitution explicitly provides for the punishment of only those who violate counterfeiting or maritime laws. The necessary and proper clause, however, has been interpreted extremely broadly, thereby giving Congress wide latitude in legislation. The first landmark case involving the clause was McCulloch v. Maryland (1819), which involved the establishment of a national bank. Alexander Hamilton, in advocating the creation of the bank, argued that there was "a more or less direct" relationship between the bank and "the powers of collecting taxes, borrowing money, regulating trade between the states, and raising and maintaining fleets and navies." Thomas Jefferson countered that Congress's powers "can all be carried into execution without a national bank. A bank therefore is not necessary, and consequently not authorized by this phrase." Chief Justice John Marshall agreed with the former interpretation. Marshall wrote that a Constitution listing all of Congress' powers "would partake of a prolixity of a legal code and could scarcely be embraced by the human mind." Since the Constitution could not possibly enumerate the "minor ingredients" of the powers of Congress, Marshall "deduced" that Congress had the authority to establish a bank from the "great outlines" of the general welfare, commerce and other clauses. Under this interpretation of the necessary and proper clause, Congress has sweepingly broad powers (known as implied powers) not explicitly enumerated in the Constitution.

189 years ago, there was no internal combustion engines or electric power producers. 189 years ago, world human population has been estimated to have been less than 1 billion people. We stand today at 6.5 billion people. Human flatulence alone could be one cause of global warming.

184 Posts
Sep 17, 2008 10:26 pm

As a result of a family emergency I had to drive about 1500 miles this week.  Because of Ike, I had no choice but to pay for gasoline at a much higher rate than I've ever seen.  Gasoline prices now seem to be dropping a bit. 

I will gladly continue to use my spare funds to buy solar panels, with the hope of someday using solar energy to charge an electric car.  I'm tired of being screwed by greedy oil companies.  What was the justification for that price spike I wonder?  I'm tired of enriching people who don't give a damn about my life, except for maybe converting me to Islam against my will.

There are those who will tell you that it is impractical to try to run an electric car off of a solar array. Don't believe it. The media is not likely to report fairly and honestly out of fear of offending car companies and dealerships, big advertisers.  You won't get much help from politicians because they get contributions from oil companies.

I'm a little mad right now, and feeling like I was taken advantage of while I was vulnerable.  But this experience serves as a reminder to keep moving forward, and not to depend on government to do it for me.   

76 Posts
Sep 25, 2008 11:02 am

As a result of a family emergency I had to drive about 1500 miles this week.  Because of Ike, I had no choice but to pay for gasoline at a much higher rate than I've ever seen.  Gasoline prices now seem to be dropping a bit. 
Sorry to hear that.  Maybe a couple gas cans might have helped, as well as scouting out locations for E85.

I will gladly continue to use my spare funds to buy solar panels, with the hope of someday using solar energy to charge an electric car.
As my teenage daughter would say, ROFL LMAO.
Seriously.  I have a '95 Dodge Dakota I personally converted to electric, by myself, in my own garage.  My garage has 8 125w PV modules, and can charge my electric truck once a week.  More solar and batteries, and I'd be able to charge it every day.  This isn't a long time in the future, in a galaxy far far away.  This is here and now.  Like anything worth having, though, it's worth doing yourself without waiting for the gubmint to come along and legislate it into existance.

I'm tired of being screwed by greedy oil companies.  What was the justification for that price spike I wonder?  I'm tired of enriching people who don't give a damn about my life, except for maybe converting me to Islam against my will.
That being the case, perhaps you should ask your congressman why we have such high tarrifs on sugar and ethanol imported from Central America.  The oil companies aren't "evil greedy", they're privately held companies that are in business to take your money and give you a product or service in trade.  That is all.

There are those who will tell you that it is impractical to try to run an electric car off of a solar array. Don't believe it.

I promise I won't!

The media is not likely to report fairly and honestly out of fear of offending car companies and dealerships, big advertisers.  You won't get much help from politicians because they get contributions from oil companies.
You're on the right track with all that, but the car makers are just following market demands.  The mass media scares people out of electric cars with the notion they might need to jump up one day and drive a thousand miles, and electrics take time to recharge.

I'm a little mad right now, and feeling like I was taken advantage of while I was vulnerable.  But this experience serves as a reminder to keep moving forward, and not to depend on government to do it for me.   

Good for you.  Now buy Chevy S10, a conversion package, about $25k in solar and batteries, and you're done using gasoline for local transportation, period.

184 Posts
Sep 25, 2008 10:41 pm

Travis,

If an overnight spike of $1 per gallon for no apparant reason wasn't greed, then what was it?

Yes, an electric car that can get me to work and back each day using no gas would be great, even if I have to charge it most of the time with grid power.  And yes, solar panels are expensive, but I'll keep buying them.  Gasoline is expensive too, and it's climbing faster than solar panels are. 

If your converted Dakota meets your needs, great, but it doesn't meet mine.  I'm leaning toward a series hybrid.  With a series hybrid I could avoid using gasoline for my daily work commute, but I could still use the car for longer trips (at the expense of burning gas), when I need to.     

The car makers are following market demands?  Are you serious?  U. S. carmakers don't seem to be aware that what we need is a small car, perhaps a two-seater, but without sports-car performance and the sports-car price tag.  How could they have missed that?  They deserve to go bankrupt.

Sorry if I've offend you with my comment about Islam, it was a rough week.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!