Choosing an inverter

3 Posts
Apr 7, 2010 08:46 am
Choosing an inverter

I am looking to buy an inverter which could plug into the wall (using utility power) and can also connect a battery for backup. And if there is utility power, that would be used to power the inverter and in addition to providing AC current, the inverter would also be charging it’s back up battery. Then when there’s utility power failure, the inverter could automatically switch to its backup battery for power until there is utility power again when it goes back to charging its battery.

Can all inverters perform this function? That is, have a switch to connect into utility power, charge it’s back up battery and switch between utility power and battery power without causing any power failure? If not, what are the other accessories I have to look at.

I need a 3000 watt pure sine inverter that can perform all these functions. Anyone know any good one?

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: Apr 7, 2010 08:50 am by Sorbari Akpea »

184 Posts
Apr 16, 2010 06:23 pm
Re: Choosing an inverter

Since no one has responded so far, I'll take a stab at it.  Some inverters do accept AC input and others do not.  Some include an "Automatic Transfer Switch" which senses the presence of input AC power, and uses that power for the loads and for battery charging.  When the AC input power shuts down, the loads are switched to battery power, via the inverter.  You can also accomplish the same results with two separate devices, an inverter and an automatic transfer switch.  That's what I did.  I have my inverter set to shut down when the battery voltage drops below 12 volts.  The AC output from my inverter passes through the automatic transfer switch.  When it senses no AC from the inverter, it switches the inverter out and the grid-supplied AC in.  Works great, but there is a slight flicker (of the lights) when the transfer happens.  I'm a little worried that this glitch might damage sensitive electronic equipment, but so far I've had no problems.
« Last Edit: Apr 16, 2010 06:24 pm by John Dalhaus »

46 Posts
Apr 18, 2010 02:22 pm

Sorbari, sounds to me like you are not looking for an inverter at all, but a UPS instead. An Uninterrupted Power Supply will keep a set of batteries charged until power goes out, then whatever is plugged into the ups unit will run on the battery power until utility power is restored or the batteries get too low. These units are commonly sold at computer stores (for computers) and have very little capacity. I am sure someone makes larger units, or you could do like John D says and hook one up yourself with a transfer switch, inverter, battery bank, etc.. best of luck, -m.

1 Posts
May 2, 2010 08:48 pm

Sorbari, your required inverter is available from us.

3KW pure sine wave inverter with built in battery charger

Input
AC voltage 160-266VAC, 45-65HZ
BAT.Voltage 12VDC 24VDC 48VDC

When there's Grid power, the inverter feeds power to the load directly through Grid power. When the Grid power is off, the inverter will automatically transfer to battery mode and feed power(just 10ms transfer time)

Censko Power Supplies Co., Ltd.

Tel/Fax: +86-427-7822 896
Mobile: +86 (0) 159 4274 0529
E-Mail: celina @ censko.com

7 Posts
May 8, 2010 07:33 am

I always believe in choosing inverter which is power saving and also the inverter should be good quality wise and also, one thing that should be consider that the charging time should be less.

Thanks

http://www.energyboom.com/

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!