A Weekend Cabin System

2 Posts
Aug 29, 2008 07:40 pm
A Weekend Cabin System

New to this, need to know what I need to run a water/well pump at a cabin.  The pump is rated at 110V, 13A, 60HZ.  It will need to run approx 1-2 hrs per day.  Also would like to run a few 25W fluorescent lights.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Ken

184 Posts
Aug 29, 2008 10:29 pm
Re: A Weekend Cabin System

I'll take a stab at it:

The well pump requires 2860 watt/hours.
That's 13amps X 110volts X 2 hours.
Add 300 watt/hours for lights.
That's 3 lights X 25 watts X 4 hours.
Total needs = 3160 watt/hours each day.

Lets try 8-100 watt solar panels & 4 hours of sunlight.
That' 800 watts X 4 hours, or 3200 watt/hours.

Let' shoot for enough batteries to last one day.
First convert watt/hours to amp/hours by dividing:
3160 divided by 12 = 263 amp/hours.  You don't want to discharge batteries beyond 50%, so double the amp/hour rating, or 526 amp/hours.  You can get by (for one day) with 5-105amp/hour deep cycle batteries.

You could get by with less batteries of course, especially if you run the well pump during the day when the sun is shining, avoiding using it at night.

That well pump represents a big load, 13 amps X 110 volts = 1430 watts.  You'll need an inverter big enough to handle that, plus any lights you have running at the same time.  I don't know much about well pumps, but some motors have a high starting current, which means you'll have to make sure the inverter can handle that as well.  Maybe you could look into a well pump that draws less current.

You'll also need a charge controller, wire and safety devices, and panel mounting hardware.

Keep in mind that the design I proposed does not take into account system losses and inefficiencies, or extended periods of cloud cover.  I don't mean to discourage you, but this will be a pretty substantial system.  Good luck!

2 Posts
Aug 30, 2008 04:00 pm

Thank you for your help.

Aug 31, 2008 12:50 pm

I agree. That pump takes a lot of electrical energy. A more efficient pumping/storage system might be more cost effective. Looks like you have some numbers to crunch!
http://photovoltaics.sandia.gov/docs/Design_and_Installation_of_PV_Systems.htm

and

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V2P-4H8MNK1-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=f813c37d4e1bad24f953b4ce17b7e9c2

Typically speaking, a system for your application might include a PV array wired directly into a PV/pump controller, a dc powered pump and ether an elevated storage tank or a storage tank with a secondary dc pressurizing pump. So many variables that can be site specific.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!