On Demand Hot Water

26 Posts
Mar 23, 2009 08:22 pm
On Demand Hot Water

Hello All,

I need to purchase a on-demand propane water heater.
I'm off grid with a 1K array and a 880 amp hour battery bank
and I'd like to be able run a shower and wash dishes at the same time. My water line runs are relatively short and the unit will be located centrally.
Looking in the 175,000 btu range or higher.
Can anyone recommend one that requires very little electricity and wont keep my 4k inverter running all the time?
I really like the Bosch models that dont require electricity and have the hydro igniter, but they seem to be too small.
I should also add my budget of about $1200
Thanks for any suggestions

Dave
« Last Edit: Mar 23, 2009 08:41 pm by Dave Cu »

22 Posts
Mar 31, 2009 12:05 pm
Re: On Demand Hot Water

Dave, have you looked into solar water heating to preheat the water first?  This could provide up to 75% of your hot water, then you'd need a smaller on-demand heater to top it off when needed.  Give me a shout if you'd like to discuss.

Amy Beaudet
AltE Store
877-878-4060 x140

26 Posts
Mar 31, 2009 02:03 pm
Re: On Demand Hot Water

Hi Amy,

The on demand unit is going into a new home so I have to start with a full time water heater and then work my way back to solar hot water, water cooled generator, masonry stove, etc...
I live in upstate NY and its not unusual to have 2-3 days without sun.
Money is also an issue. So for now if I have to choose between the two, I have to start with something 100% reliable.
On of the problems in finding a unit is determining the amount of electricity being used while heating the water.
Most have an electronic ignition which is no problem, but I'd hate to be drawing anything substantial while taking a shower or doing dishes.
Thanks, and when I'm ready for solar hot water I know where to turn.

Dave C.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!