MPPT Charge Controllers

12 Posts
Jul 1, 2009 01:26 am
MPPT Charge Controllers

Hey everyone!  This is the best site out there.  I currently do not have any renewable energy products but I am trying to put together a small off-grid system.  I'm going to go with a MPPT charge controller and was wondering your opinions between the Outback and the Xantrex.  I would personally go with the Xantrex but I feel my decision a bit bias.  So fill me in with your thoughts and comments, all are appreciated.

Jeff

13 Posts
Jul 1, 2009 02:31 am
Re: MPPT Charge Controllers

xantrex is better option if u can afford it. Else u can go with the other

578 Posts
Jul 1, 2009 09:03 am

without more detail, it is hard to say.  either is a nice controller.  without knowing the application (which is key) i can tell you two of the basic differences between them.

1. the xantrex mppt has an integrated ground fault protection device.  this is a nice feature, but it confuses many folks just starting out.  ground fault protection devices are a fire prevention and safety mechanism that senses current on the equipment grounding circuit, and opens the circuit, taking the ungrounded conductor with it.  in most off grid systems, this is accomplished with a circuit breaker combo that would be located in the dc load center.  if you go with an all xw system, all the manuals will sync, and you will be fine.  if you dont, all other wiring diagrams will assume an external gfp, and this confuses many folks in their wiring.  the xantrex internal gfp can be the only bond of grounded and equipment grounding conductors in the system.

2.  the xantrex includes a battery temperature sensor, while the outback is a sold separate add on of around 20 bucks.

minor differences

the xantrex uses only a heat sink for cooling, while the outback uses heat fins and a fan.  the 2nd gen outbacks (flexmax) are updated based on the feedback from the first unit regarding fan placement.

the outback is a little roomier in the wiring compartment than the xantrex is.  there is a partition in the xantrex for the xanbus network cable to the xw that can be frustrating when wiring.

like i said above, both controllers a very nice, it is a matter of preference.  we have both in our hq office right now.  if you are going to integrate an inverter by either manufacturer, then usually we see folks select the same brand charge controller for communication network benefits.

let the forum know what you are up to (loads list, array, potential array growth) and i am sure folks will chime in with opinions.

james
altE staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

12 Posts
Jul 1, 2009 01:24 pm

Thank you both for your responses!  I'm still in the designing phase of my build so my system will be small (1 or 2 panels to start) but I want to build it to be able to grow.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!