Help needed for Solar Panel Hot Water system

9 Posts
Jul 23, 2007 11:20 am
Help needed for Solar Panel Hot Water system

Hi Everybody,

I just bought a house from a bank. It is forclosure. So there are many things we don't know about the house. The solar panel hot water system is one of them.

Here are some information of the system:

1. Storage Tank: SE62-80H-045S (a product from here, 6 years old);
2. Optimizer: Novan Energy FXB1000D Optimizer;
3. Solar Controller: CM-30 Solar Controller;

I am new to solar system. I have many questions on it:

1. How to adjust the hot water temperature? or how to control the hot water temperature?
2. How do I know the solar panel is working?
3. How can I make best use of the solar to minimize the electric usage? We use lots of hot water at night but not in the morning, how can we control the assisted electric will not heat the water at night and wait until next day's sun shine?
4. We live in Boston, MA and winter is very cold. Do we need to do anything special to make sure the pipes will not freezen in the cold wheather?

Anybody can help? Thank you in advance.

James

462 Posts
Jul 23, 2007 11:47 am
Re: Help needed for Solar Panel Hot Water system

James, here are some quick answers to your questionsl;

1. The controller usually limits the temperature of the storage. Instructions for the controller should show you how to adjust this setting. There may also be a mixing valve coming from the tank itself to adjust the hot water temp. leaving the tank.

2. There should be some indicator lights on the controller to tell you whent he system is on.

3. You can get the electric wired for "off peak" so the tank turns off at night. Best to use the hot water when it is available and leave time to make more.

4. That specific tank does not have a heat exchanger, so there can not be any antifreeze in the solar loop.
Is there a separate tank to which the pump is attached that holds water. If so, then perhaps you have a drainback system.

I am curious as to why you have an optimizer. Do you have any solar electric panels as well?

If you need service you can give me a call.

Tom
Solar Innovations
Lowell, Ma
978-394-3555

1 Posts
Feb 2, 2009 06:48 pm

Tom:

I saw your post regarding the Novan Optimizer. I'm trying to find instructions on the controller. Do you know where to find operating instructions for the controller?

2 Posts
Apr 9, 2009 12:39 pm

the novan optimizer, have questions? feel free to contact me

adam
service manager

novan solar 

2 Posts
Apr 9, 2009 12:56 pm

the Novan Energy FXB1000D Optimizer, is the heat exchanger, these used bray oil in the solar loop, these also came with a dual load priority,,, example (dhw and spa)

questions
adam lane
[email protected]   

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!