DIY solar collector enclosure?

1 Posts
Sep 26, 2008 12:03 am
DIY solar collector enclosure?

I have four Thermafin absorber plates for which I would like to make enclosures so I can use them as complete collectors on my son's house. Does anyone know of a source for metal extrusions to form the case and cap to hold the glass? I made panels for my own house about 20 years ago, and was able to acquire the components from a local panel manufacturer who has since gone out of business. Another option is to make something from standard metal shapes if anyone has suggestions of how to do that.

65 Posts
Sep 26, 2008 07:03 pm
Re: DIY solar collector enclosure?

Hey Steven, I've played around with creating my own collectors in the past. When I was prototyping I actually used the galvanized steel studs you can buy in hardware store and sheet metal screw to attach the vertical and horizontal members together. I used aluminum sheet as a backing. Obviously, the big downside with galvanized steel is that it will begin to corrode pretty quickly, unless you have it nicely painted and kept that way. Also with the Al skin on the back I used a silicon gasket (caulking) to minimize the corrosion potential from two dissimilar metals touching. Extruded aluminum would optimal but it is, as you've discovered, hard to find a supplier and the right design.

You can then use cyana-I-don't-what-it's-called foam insulation board for the backing and the internal sides. The trick will definitely be to keep the glass in place - not too rigidly so it doesn't break with temperature variations causing everything to expand/contract. Again, I'd use that silicon as a gasket between the glass and whatever metal you decide to go with.

Just some ideas - I'm a total amateur when it comes to this but I thought I'd share some of my amateur-ish experiences. One thing I did gain from trying to do it myself was a complete respect for how hard it actually is for manufacturers to make a solid product - whereas I would be afraid to place any warranty on any of my creations. Wink

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able" (tm)
http://www.altEstore.com/

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!