Backup solutions for small appliances for 2 to 3 weeks where electricity is NOT

4 Posts
Aug 19, 2015 08:34 pm
Backup solutions for small appliances for 2 to 3 weeks where electricity is NOT

I travel extensively to some very remote places in Haiti where there is NO electricity sometimes for weeks. I normally travel with my MacbookPro, 3 or 4 smartphone, and perhaps a small portable radio. I am looking for a portable backup solution to keep my stuffs up and running for at least 3 to 4 weeks at a time. I eventually would like to use that same backup system to take care of the small room that I reside when I am in that country (few lights, a small 4ft fridge, small toaster, things of that nature. I would like your input as to which products might do the trick for me. Thank you in advance for your support and guidance. Robert

6 Posts
Aug 20, 2015 02:03 pm
Re: Backup solutions for small appliances for 2 to 3 weeks where electricity is NOT

Hi Robert,

This sounds like a great conversation to have with one of our sales representatives on the phone. Feel free to give us a call and someone will be happy to help you get started. Our toll free number is 1-800-320-9514, just follow the prompts to get you to one of our many knowledge salespersons.

Regards,

Jocelyn

4 Posts
Aug 20, 2015 02:15 pm
Re: Backup solutions for small appliances for 2 to 3 weeks where electricity is NOT

Thanks, I'll go ahead and call the number mentioned, but I still would like to hear from other members of the community to see if they have anything else to share with me.

462 Posts
Aug 25, 2015 11:28 am

Robert, there are a lot of portable, flexible type, thin film type of PV panels available. 'There are some that fold up neatly. This may work for you for the radio (or purchase solar powered radio), computer and phone charging. It may be possible to charge or use these items directly from the panel, or else some type of  adapter or inverter may be needed
For the other items you mention in the room, you may just need a small inverter, depending on the voltages and amps of these appliances. You may also need a battery that can be charged by the same panel and a small,cheap charge controller and a little bit of wire. Not sure if you are able to leave these item behind or perhaps leave them with someone you know when you are gone.
« Last Edit: Aug 25, 2015 11:34 am by Tom Mayrand »

4 Posts
Aug 25, 2015 11:58 am

Good morning and thank you,  do you have anything specific items that I can further investigate ? I have been looking at the net for specific solutions for quick sometimes without any success.  I was hoping someone might have purchased some specific items to basically address almost the same issues that I am currently trying to address.  If that's is the case and someone has some specific set of products to suggest, I would truly appreciate That.  Thanks

462 Posts
Aug 25, 2015 12:33 pm

Here's one site with a variety of flexible panels....you should be able to find more....it also has cheap charge controllers.�  Just match current� and voltage outputs of whichever panel you purchase. They also have some inverters. Sometimes your local automotive store will have some cheap inverters. You should not need a true sine wave inverter, which are more expensive, to run those simple loads. Just check the wattage needed by your appliances. (voltage x current, eg 12 volts x 5 amps = 60 watts, or 220 volts x 5 amps = 1100 Watts), then choose an inverter accordingly.

http://www.solarhome.org/flexiblesolarpanels.aspx

Obviously, you should be able to purchase a deep cycle battery in Haiti.

4 Posts
Aug 25, 2015 01:58 pm

Thanks a lot! I am going to check the site right now. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted!

47 Posts
Sep 14, 2015 10:32 am

You really need to do a loads list before you go any further to figure out how much power you need. Some of the items you listed don't use much power, but anything that makes heat or cold uses more power than you would expect, and you listed a fridge and a toaster. Check out the loads list calculator here, https://www.altestore.com/store/calculators/load_calculator/ , and then go to the off grid calculator to see how many solar panels and batteries you need. https://www.altestore.com/store/calculators/off_grid_calculator/?dwhrs=0  Don't make the mistake of buying equipment before you know if it will work for your needs, that's  sure way to loose money.

Amy
Solar Queen
altE Store

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!