Solar panels

1 Posts
Dec 13, 1999 06:33 pm
Solar panels

I am interested in learning exactly how to make a solar panel ! From the raw materials and chemicals to make a photovoltaic cell, to getting it to work !

I want to make my own ! But am finding it difficult to get even the most basic books or materials explaining the process. I do not mind if my attempt is primitive and shoddy. I will get some satisfaction from putting one together, and I am sure it will work !

Please advise on materials or sources of this 'BACK TO BASICS' INFORMATION.

Thanking you in advance.
J.Gerald

3 Posts
Dec 15, 1999 12:31 am
Re: Solar panels

Greetings!
 The best source for information on Solar Panels or Photovoltaics is probably the web. There are several good sites put out by the government:

http://www.sandia.gov/pv/

http://www.eren.doe.gov/pv/aboutpv.html

If your looking for a good book, "The Solar Electric House" by Steven J. Strong has a couple of chapters on the history of Photovoltaics as well as the different manufacturing methods.  This book gives a very good overview of the different portions of an off the grid system as well. It should be available at your local library or through our website.

You also might want to so some looking though HomePower magazine's web site.  They more than likely have written an article or two on photovoltaics.  Their site is located at:

http://www.homepower.com/

Finally, if your looking to purchase individual solar cells, we offer those as well.  However, they are not listed on our site and they would have to be ordered in large quantities. Hope this helps, if you still need more information, drop us another line.

1 Posts
Dec 16, 1999 10:36 am

Try this site.  They have a kit to build your own PV module as well as several other educational kits.

http://www.picoturbine.com/

1 Posts
Dec 28, 1999 04:52 pm

>Hi I have been trying to find information on how to make solar power and have been unsucessful I've been to the libary and book stores to try and get info. but all I come up with is kids books. This really blows cause I have great Idea's for solar power sorry I couldn't help and if I do get info I will write back P.S. I think the people who make the solar panels dont want us to find out about it.

1 Posts
Mar 20, 2000 09:55 pm

Lindsay Publications sells a booklet telling you how to make copper oxide solar cells.You will be disappointed.The effiency is less than 1%.go to www.lindsaybks.com.good luck

3 Posts
Jun 19, 2000 04:13 pm

Hello,
I've also been trying to locate information on the manufacturing of solar cells to no avail. All I can find is kids' projects and I'm begining to think there's a group hoarding this info.

1 Posts
Dec 18, 2000 08:11 pm

Try "Practical Photovoltaics" by Richard Komp
Explains history, and solar cells. Also appendix, "Assembling your own modules"

1 Posts
Aug 16, 2001 11:50 pm

Hi J.
 I appreciate your enthusiasim and butt-head
 stubborness, qualities I can appreciate.
   I think the thing about solar panels is that
because of the incredibly precise nature of
 construction ,and having lack of the    
 appropriate facility (and acess
to the raw materials) it would be futile to
even attempt a proto type of  a panel.
 I once tried to make a Pace-maker for my
uncle Sal, but the effects of the unit, difficulty
of adjustment (not to mention the installation)
where just too much. He was old anyway.

Just kidding, but anyhow,  I respect your
   optimissim.  Seriously, I ran accross one
little pamphlet here in Portland Oregon at a
large technical book store that described the
construction of a small (miniscual) solar cell
the output of which was measured in Micro-
ampres, hardly worth the effort Vs. reward.

E- me back if you are dead- set on trying. I could find this pamphlet, i know right where is
is....
 I would not discourage absolute obsession
 it is so very rare, however, I think there may
 be more productive pursuits , like moonlighting for a month and getting some
decent photovoltaics.
 S. Yum Yum

Respectfully , S. yum yum

1 Posts
Nov 6, 2001 05:33 pm

>>Hi I have been trying to find information on how to make solar power and have been unsucessful I've been to the libary and book stores to try and get info. but all I come up with is kids books. This really blows cause I have great Idea's for solar power sorry I couldn't help and if I do get info I will write back P.S. I think the people who make the solar panels dont want us to find out about it.

>Check out ebay ... i saw a booklet (22 pages) that says it shows how to make primitive solar cells.

1 Posts
Oct 6, 2002 08:35 am

http://www.proactivesolar.com/information/InfoSites.html

Check under the "Solar Technology" section.  There are a few articles that I reviewed myself for the same reasons.  The Titanium Dioxide cells are an interesting home brew solution although efficiency is poor.

1 Posts
Dec 15, 2003 09:39 am

>>I am interested in learning exactly how
>>to make a solar panel !
>>From the raw materials and chemicals
>>to make a photovoltaic cell, to
>>getting it to work !
>>I want to make my own !
>>But am finding it difficult to
>>get even the most basic books
>>or materials explaining the process. I
>>do not mind if my attempt
>>is primitive and shoddy. I will
>>get some satisfaction from putting one
>>together, and I am sure it
>>will work !
>>Please advise on materials or sources of
>>this 'BACK TO BASICS' INFORMATION.
>>Thanking you in advance. J.Gerald

>

1 Posts
Jan 8, 2004 10:22 am

I too, have been looking to build my own set of panels for kicks over the summer, If you get anywhere please email me, I'll be sure to share information.

Brendan

Jan 30, 2004 11:25 pm
Solar Pannel

I want to buy a solsr pannel used or new.
I will be happy if I can get books and other materials on how to make solar pannel.
Thanks.

1 Posts
Mar 23, 2004 03:37 pm

>I am interested in learning exactly how
>to make a solar panel !
>From the raw materials and chemicals
>to make a photovoltaic cell, to
>getting it to work !
>I want to make my own !
>But am finding it difficult to
>get even the most basic books
>or materials explaining the process. I
>do not mind if my attempt
>is primitive and shoddy. I will
>get some satisfaction from putting one
>together, and I am sure it
>will work !
>Please advise on materials or sources of
>this 'BACK TO BASICS' INFORMATION.

I loved the response from the fellow that developed the pacemaker.  Classic stuff!
Really, it's a royal pain to try and make PV cells yourself without the proper tools.  Clean room, furnaces, chemicals, etc.  Doing it in your garage is probably not an option.  There are books that explain the science and actually give you dopant concentrations for certain substrates and all that jazz - all to generate a little bit of power.  In fact, solar cells that generate more significant power are separate cells wired in arrangements to yield a higher voltage and/or current.

There is one gentleman that comes to mind who actually created PV's from amorphous silicon (silicon with random structure instead of the precisely grown crystal).  Anyway, his name is Stan Ovshinsky and he founded Energy Conversion Devices, Inc. with a similar spirit and conviction.  He actually created a transistor type switch from silicon melted in a crucible with electrodes.  Doesn't get any more basic than that does it?  Good luck.

3 Posts
Apr 10, 2004 12:14 am
wind turbine

Does anyone has 12 volt turnine motor without
the vanes?I just need the motor without the blades(vanes).

thanks,
  Getachew  

3 Posts
Apr 10, 2004 12:16 am
Re: wind turbine

>  Does anyone has 12 volt
>turnine motor without  the vanes?I
>just need the motor without the
>blades(vanes).
>thanks,    
>
>

3 Posts
Apr 10, 2004 12:19 am
Re: wind turbine

>>  Does anyone has 12 volt
>>turnine motor without  the vanes?I
>>just need the motor without the
>>blades(vanes).
>>thanks,    
>>
>>

>

4 Posts
Apr 16, 2004 10:59 am

J-
Just happen to have a copy of a very old article on how to make your own-It was gotten inter-library loan and has a stamp about copyright laws being applicable(maybe)
So-if you(any of you reading this) would like to have this info put out there, e-mail me and I'll check it out-after all it was an article from the 30s!
cheers-steve

1 Posts
Aug 10, 2004 05:45 pm

I know that this is an old and long thread that has gone on for years based on the date of the original post and the last post I've read.

I'm now going ask a similar question as the original poster, but add my own special twist.  Why?  B/c I understand that new technology has come out or is about soon on this whole solar stuff (with the idea of smaller, faster & cheaper in mind - read: gross assumption on my part) and there may be new answers to provide that haven't been given before.

Being a newbie as well, I'll have a host of regular stupid questions to go along with my post, so please bare with me.

Here goes.

I want to build a solar panel for power use during the day w/ batteries to use at night and have it hooked to the main power grid to get the excess juice my home made solar generator produces to have cash flow to my back account.  The house is a 4/3 with darn near everything electric except the hot water heaters and Central heat, two units, the house is zoned.

Is solar energy more expensive to pipe into your house than regular TU electricity, Reliant, Cirro, etc... provided energy?  I ask b/c I'm sure there is so much up front costs that must be paid off over time, but in time, it will be free energy more or less, there will be on going maintenance costs, what ever that will be.

Ok, that�s the plan.  Now, lets say I want to design and build everything that is required.

I want to design and manufacture each solar cell in each panel of all the panels I will have to calculate I'll need, along with how many batteries I'll need.  I understand that equipment that makes semiconductors would be required if I wanted to make a precise and powerful unit for max power per square inch.  I understand there is something called an inverter, I guess this is a device that takes the juice coming off the solar cell and turns it into A/C power and sends to the house, and overflow to the main power grid to get paid for by whom even you have an agreement.  I guess meters of your own will need to be put into place to get all that straight and you know what�s going on.  This will also require computers to monitor things, and to know when to take or give juice from the solar genie or a electrical co-op, whoever.

I want to build every bit of this myself.  Lets say I know enough people and have enough contacts that I can acquire the equipment used to build it all, that and electrical plans and access to the parts to manufacture the whole solar power generating operational to meet my goals mentioned above.  I understand that there will be something I can't do, like hook to the power grid, I must have someone like TU do that, and I understand that there will be licenses( please tell me what all they are), and permits and loads of stuff like this that must be acquired as to not break any laws, and chiefly, try and not electrocute myself or others, and make it safe around kids who may want to play near the area, (tall fence with razor wire and a sign that says "electrified fence".

I think this is enough to get people out here started to, a) laughing at me, and b) pointing out all the pitfalls, and what�s realistic or not, what�s best practice, how to start off small and grow it bigger, etc...

I'm in the Ross Perot mode, I'm all ears, so I'll be listening to what everyone�s input is on this.

One last question, if the suns light is free, why is solar energy not used by the big electrical companies, why more people do not use it to power their own house?  Is it really not cost effective in the long run?  What is the big part of the puzzle that is making it so expensive as to why this has not taken off since the big energy crunch of '72 which I certainly remember and was affected by, and all the issues of pollution today.

Oh, and tax breaks if I made a giant solar energy plant as a business in some sun shinny place (can that be possible, is it worth it?), what are those tax breaks?  Any other benefits besides the obvious renewable free energy source (unless Mr. Burns from the Simpson�s blocks out the sun), no pollution, etc� that I might be missing?

My thanks to all.  

mailto:john.quinn @ comcast.net

Oct 12, 2004 02:17 pm
PV CELL

A committee at The University of the West Indies is embarking on a massive project to utilize solar energy as the primary source of power.

Can you guide us to distributors of raw materials and chemicals needed to make a photovoltaic cell.

1 Posts
Oct 30, 2004 06:56 am
About Solar Pannel

Dear Sir,
I want to put a plant for Solar pannel in India, I need the procedure for this and how can you help me in this.

Regards,

Gaurav Minda

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!