Ken Hall's posts

Posted by Ken Hall on Apr 13, 2010 04:42 pm

#16 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: How to connect a generator with a battery(12v) or with a lamp?
Great !
Please post your results with it.  We like to hear how things work out.
Best of luck,
Ken

Posted by Ken Hall on Apr 13, 2010 02:56 pm

#17 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: How to connect a generator with a battery(12v) or with a lamp?
If your speaker cables are a full 2 mm, that would make them about #12AWG.  So you should have been good for at least 5 amps or so. Probably not the problem, right now. 

I have been trying to find the specs on the Ametek 60, but have not found them.  Do you know what the rated rpm is ??

From the comments that I have seen, The rpm is most likely the problem, even in winds of  6-8m/s (15-18mph). 

If the rpm problem is as big as I suspect, I would NOT try cutting down the blade length.  The marginal rpm gain will not help. 

You may be in the position where you have two choices.
1)Get a different motor to use as a generator.
2)Increase your blade length for greater torque, and then use a step up gearing to spin the generator faster than the blade rpm.

Ken

Posted by Ken Hall on Apr 12, 2010 12:45 pm

#18 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: How to connect a generator with a battery(12v) or with a lamp?
Your cable might be a problem now, it will definitely be one later.

You said that you checked the output voltage when the wind was "high". What is your best guess of the windspeed.

Where did you take your output voltage measurement?  At the generator
terminals or over near the battery/controller ?

Were the controller and battery online, or were you measuring open circuit voltage ?
What is the wire gauge of your speaker cables and how many feet of it are used from the generator to the battery/controller.

Posted by Ken Hall on Apr 2, 2010 02:00 pm

#19 -  Renewable Energy > RE General Discussion > Re: Rodent protection
I haven't had the problem with PV. If I did, I would try using spiral wrap.
http://ca.digikey.com/1/1/1094791-spiral-wrap-uv-poly-1-4-x-25-sw41-bk008.html
I've had good luck with it in other "chewing" applications. I would use a larger size than the above,probably 1/2 to 1 inch. I selected the above page for the photo.
You could also try split tubing.  But with either one, make sure it is a UV resistent type. The indoor stuff won't last very long outdooors.

Ken

Posted by Ken Hall on Jan 12, 2010 02:19 am

#20 -  Renewable Energy > Technical Discussion: Other > Re: Charge controller needed for mini hydro
PV is an exotic form of generation.  The controller is trying to coax more power out of the panels for better efficiency. It then turns around and simultaneously looks at protecting the battery. That is why you have solar charge controllers.

With your hydro set up, the generator is going to produce a certain power level based on the current flow and the excitation logarithm. That power will come charging out like the bulls of Pamplona.  It is active generation, not the passive generation of PV.

Until you are in a hydro unit large enough to justify the expense of flow control and excitation control to back the production down, you just have to take the full amount and do something with the excess.

You seem to be thinking that because solar works better with complex control, the same complex control is needed on hydro.

With diversion control, all it needs to worry about is protecting the battery. When the battery voltage hits the preset level, it starts diverting enough wattage to maintain the appropriate voltage.  When the battery is full, all the wattage will be diverted.

Something you said gives me the feeling that you think dumping power is bad.  Question for you.  What is the difference between dumping excess power off of a hydro, and not producing the same amount of power with a PV panel because the controller choked it off?

To me, they are both equally wasteful.  The difference is that if you choose the right diversion load (e.g. preheating hot water or pumping water to storage) you can have more efficient use of your generation. (Higher capacity factor)  You may also be saving some other form of energy.

Forums | Powered by SMF.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary