wind charge 36V golf cart

4 Posts
Aug 2, 2006 05:24 pm
wind charge 36V golf cart

I have a cabin that is off grid Planning on adding aprox 300- 500 W wind charger...Heres the problem I would like to charge 36Volt golf cart to serve as storage for limited lites & small appliances.Battery bank is 3 12v batts in series, I know most charging sys. are 12 or 24 & I really don't want to use inverter & 36v charger....Anybody have any efficient metods of arriving @ this would be much appreciated

Thanks fismik

52 Posts
Aug 15, 2006 12:03 pm
Re: wind charge 36V golf cart

One idea would be to wire the batteries in parallel so that your battery bank is at 12v. That way you could charge the array with an Air X wind generator. Also most lights and appliances that are DC are 12v. Feel free to give me a call and we can work on a solution to meet your individual needs.

5 Posts
Aug 15, 2006 08:05 pm

I am trying to do a 48 volt EV conversion.  I am thinking a charge controller ....  ??

5 Posts
Aug 15, 2006 08:24 pm

Another option is to add another battery to make a 48 volt cart....  some folks have done this and even used the orig controller

5 Posts
Aug 15, 2006 11:17 pm

Michael, I would recommend that you consider using a 32 volt wind machine like a pre REA Wincharger, Winpower, Parris Dunn or Wind King to name a few. The 32 volt generators will easily produce better than 40 volts. These machines are still available out there, and are built to last a lifetime. They will do a beautiful job of charging a 36 volt battery. In addition, if you want to do more than charge a battery, there are all kinds of 32 and 36 volt lights, fans, and motors available, and you can still buy inverters for use at these voltages. Also consider that the marine industry still uses 32 volts on ships so there are all kinds of accessories out there for use at your voltage. Lastly, from a transmission standpoint, 36 volts does not suffer anywhere near the volt drop problems associated with 12 volt systems, so it allows for the use of smaller wire sizes for comparable loads. We power our house and farm using two 32 volt Winchargers, and AC power is provided by a Xantrex inverter powered by our batteries. We couldn't be happier with our system. You can check out other people using 32 volt machines at www.wincharger.com  Good luck

578 Posts
Aug 16, 2006 07:04 pm

to me a 48v system would be easier in terms of getting RE equipment for the system.  It would also decrease potential voltage drop issues.  there are other ways to do it and I learned some things from terry's post, but to have a simple system with common off the shelf parts including the air-x turbine, inverter, solar charge controller, i would go to 48vdc if possible.

james - Alt-E staff

AltE
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.altEstore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x107  or +1.978.562.5858 x107
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

4 Posts
Aug 23, 2006 08:37 am

Tnks for all the replies it would appear I  have quite a few options  available to me. It is good to know that this project is feasable.I will be in touch with support staff thanks again.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!