Wind and Solar Hybrid off grid system

Jan 1, 2009 12:08 pm
Wind and Solar Hybrid off grid system

Hello,
I'm interested in in finding out how to add a small wind turbine to a solar powered off grid battery powered system.  Can you simply add a second charge controller designed for wind power and connect to the batteries with a solar charge controller connected?

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks, Steve

49 Posts
Jan 1, 2009 01:05 pm
Re: Wind and Solar Hybrid off grid system

Steve,  The short answer is yes. I have an off-grid system
with an Air x which is connected to a meter then directly to the batteries because the Air x has an internal controller that shuts down when the batteries are charged.  Good luck Jim

Jan 2, 2009 09:37 am

Thanks for your reply Jim;
This sounds like a good solution!  I'm curious if the wind turbine shuts down and stops producing when the solar panels are producing.  My guess is that the turbines circuitry would see the voltage and current at the battery and think it was charged.

Thanks, Steve

49 Posts
Jan 2, 2009 09:55 pm

my air x doesnt shut down untill they are about at 49 volts
I have 16 batteries and they charge from solar up to 52 volts on my 48 v system. I do have the air x connected at the opposite ends of the battery connections as the outback controller is connected to.   Jim.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!