What Voltage to use for battery bank

2 Posts
Apr 9, 2007 03:21 pm
What Voltage to use for battery bank

I currently have a 12 volt system that I convert to 120V. I have no 12v lights or appliances.
Should I stick with the 12volt system or change this to a 24volt system, can some one tell me the benefits for either

27 Posts
Apr 9, 2007 08:33 pm
Re: What Voltage to use for battery bank

Hi Greg,
  The benefits with going from 12 vdc to 24 vdc is that you can size the wire smaller to make your wiring job much less expensive. And you'll find higher wattage inverters only come in 24 or 48vdc.
  The downside is you will have to double your battery bank size which incurs more costs, and if you are looking to buy DC appliances, you'll find a large variety at 12vdc and less in 24vdc, since the 12vdc market services the RV and Marine industry that usually have 12vdc battery banks. Hope this helps---Ben Farmer

The Alternative Energy Store
"Making Renewable Do-able"
http://www.AltEnergyStore.com/

Tel: 877.878.4060 x101  or +1.978.562.5858 x101
Fax: 877.242.6718  or +1.978.562.5854

12 Posts
May 17, 2007 08:56 pm

What in particular do you wish to operate with your power supply? I operate totally on 12 v.d.c.
~12vman

184 Posts
Jun 8, 2007 05:10 pm

Depending upon what you have, you may have to replace your charge controller and inverter when you go from 12 volts to 24 volts.  That could be an expensive proposition.

If the equipment you currently have is not expesive, and if you intend to expand later, you might be better off going with 24 volts now, rather than replacing expensive equipment later.  (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say).

John

6 Posts
Jun 9, 2007 03:42 pm

There is more pros than cons going to 24v. You can use smaller wires from panels to batterys and the inverter you get better amperage out of a 24v system.
On a large system you want to use a really high voltage like a sonnyboy inverter.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!