Solar EV charging station

3 Posts
Aug 27, 2008 02:23 pm
Solar EV charging station

Hi all,

I have a few questions about a project I would like to get started on.  I have 1000W of solar panels and would like to use these panels to charge several EVs where I work.  Here are a few requrements I was thinking about:

1) The system needs to charge via the panels when the sun is out, generating an AC signal to feed into the stock AC charger for the EVs.

2) After the sun goes down, or power drops below some set level, the system needs to switch to AC grid power.  If no AC grid power is present, then the system should just stop charging.

3) The system (hopefully) would not need a battery.  When the sun becomes to weak, it should simply switch to AC.

4) The system cannot be grid tied.  I currently don't have the desire to grid tie and would like it to be stand alone.

Are meeting all of these needs possible with current, commercially avaliable equipment?

Thanks!
Adam
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2008 02:28 pm by Adam Plesniak »

351 Posts
Aug 27, 2008 03:12 pm
Re: Solar EV charging station

Item #4 seems to be conflicting with items 2&3.

What EV's are you talking about ? Some of them can consume more than 1,000 watts. Splitting it between "several" may not be practical.

3 Posts
Aug 27, 2008 03:47 pm

The EVs are electric utility carts.  Yes, I know that the 1000W of panels may not be sufficient for a timely charge, but the 1000W was really more of a starting point for discussing such a system. 

Why is it that 4 is conflicting with 2 & 3?

351 Posts
Aug 28, 2008 02:32 am

In both 2 & 3 you talk about AC other than from the panels. In 2 you mention from the grid. 
In 4, you say "The system cannot be grid tied.  I currently don't have the desire to grid tie and would like it to be stand alone."

« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2008 02:35 am by ken hall »

3 Posts
Aug 28, 2008 01:48 pm

Oh yes, I understand the confusion now.  What I mean to say is this, I want the system to be able to pull power FROM the AC grid (like a AC wall outlet) when the solar falls below a certain level, however, I do not want the ability to put energy INTO the AC grid. 

In the event there is power avaliable from the panels but no EV to charge, I would like the system to basically act as if the panels were open or close circuit (i.e. no power).

Sorry for the confusion.  With that clarification, is there anything now commercially avaliable to perform these requirements?

2 Posts
Feb 24, 2010 06:08 pm

Hi.
I am using a electric vehicle and it charging cost is going out of my budget by every month so by searching a lot on internet i came through this website http://www.gnrgy.com , is this website really helps in saving power while charging electric vehicles?

1 Posts
Apr 5, 2010 05:31 pm

Darel Harper

A ITS-30R  is a relay-based automatic transfer switch rated for 30A power systems, and provides switching between two separate power sources. The auto transfer

A Relay  can be triggered and drop out as the voltage value
drops below a set value

A heavy contact DPDT relay can get you there easy with the proper relay coil calibrated input connected to the solar source.

Joe with EdiSuN Solar Inc

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!