Microhydro system /off grid

2 Posts
Jan 1, 2008 04:00 pm
Microhydro system /off grid

My Question:
I want to use a 1000 gal tank on top of my house 30ft, water from tank into hydro out into small reservoir or pipe use a small pump to send water back into tank continuous. Is that   viable in cost for Jamaica?  Diesel expensive in Jamaica, wind and solar, but prefer hydro while not close to stream.

163 Posts
Jan 2, 2008 12:27 pm
Re: Microhydro system /off grid

Donald,

Hydro systems only work if you have a "free" continuous supply of water. Unless you have a perpetual motion machine, you will be using more energy to pump the water back into the tank than you will get from it.

Old fashioned lead acid batteries are still the most economical method of storing any excess energy that you produce, and I think they only return about 80% of what you put into them.

What exactly are you trying to achieve with renewable energy?

2 Posts
Jan 3, 2008 12:40 pm

I want to charge my battery with the hydro system, and since I do not have a stream I want to use a 1000 gal thank to run the system.

Sep 27, 2008 02:36 am

your on the same thinking as me....heres the plan:3 1000 gallon tanks 2 hydro turbines...the first tank is filled full and sits at the top of the second tank water runs in constantly to second tank through turbine. the the first turbine only supplies power to house inverter. the second tank is at most always half full.the second tank sits at the top of the third tank the second hydro turbine only runs the pump that only pumps when the third tank is 1/3 full or 1/2 ...this is accomplished using a float switch the third tank pumps the water back to the first
   i dont have the funds to test this but would like to see it done

351 Posts
Sep 27, 2008 12:15 pm

John B has it right. You will use more energy pumping than you will get from generation.

Pumped storage plants have a typical round trip efficiency of 50-60%.  They are only economical for utilities who use low cost night time generation for pumping and then get top dollar value for the electricity during the daytime peak.

A home built system will probably be 40% (or less) efficient. You will be spending $100 to get $40 back.

Disclaimer and Disclosure

The Alternative Energy Store, Inc reserves the right, within its sole discretion, to refuse or delete any posting or portion thereof, or terminate or block the access to this forum.

The opinions and statements posted on this forum are the opinions and statements of the person posting same, and do not constitute the opinion or act of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc (AltE). The Alternative Energy Store, Inc does not endorse or subscribe to any particular posting. No posting shall be construed as the act or opinion of the Alternative Energy Store, Inc.

Click here for BBB Business Review

McAfee SECURE sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
Desktop Website | Mobile Website

Click on an icon to share! If you don't see the method you want, hover over the orange "+".

Feedback

What can we do to help you?

Please enter a summary
Sorry, the copyright must be in the template.
Please notify this forum's administrator that this site is using an ILLEGAL copy of SMF!
Copyright removed!!